Eshopps PSK-100H brand new-problems

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Nismo400rgtr, Oct 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just got my new skimmer today after waiting over a month because it was on backorder.

First, I wasn't impressed.Materials and assembly seemed cheap.Second, pump made in China...Nuff said. Third,the upper support with adjusting screw where it's hung over the tank came unglued from the body as soon as it filled with water! I improvised.

I should've been smarter and leak tested it but I let anxiety get the best of me. Sure enough,Once hooked up to my tank and while making adjustments I notice a leak.It's from the outlet tube right where it mounts to the skimmer body.Can't tell if it was leaking past the pvc pipe portion or where the black grommet(except it's not soft)is "glued to the skimmer body".

Anyone else experience these concerns?

I don't have the patience to go through a return hassle so I was going to run a bead of aquarium silicone around the outlet tube where it goes into the grommet and another where the grommet meets the skimmer body. I was just gonna glue the hang-over support back too. Probably won't have it going again til Sunday once everything dries and assuming there are no other troubles with the unit.Get what you pay for I guess.Last low dollar skimmer I buy.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I have had a PSK-200 for 7 months and love it. It's right up to par with others that are way higher on the price tag.

I would contact them about this issue. Apparently, they have been really swamped lately... I hope quality control didn't get affected by this on a general basis. Talk to them, they'll make it right.

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I've got a 100 on the 58 gallon at the wife's office and it works great with 1 exception, you can not have 1 bit of variance in your water level, if you do the foam is either exceeding out the top of the cup or the bubbles are in the center of the skimmer body

5. Nismo400rgtr

Magnus I read your thread about the PSK-200...You have more patience then I do!

I don't doubt they'd accommodate me,just don't want to be without it anylonger.Idk,guess I'll drop them an e-mail and see what happens.Thanks

6. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

I have the psk-100 and love it. I ran silicone tape around the fittings and *knock on wood* no leak for the 3 months i have had it. it pulls skim like a champ and the adjust valve is great. send them an email they are a great company to deal with.

7. Nismo400rgtr

Sent them an e-mail this morning...no repsonse the entire day!!!

After all the good things I read about this skimmer before buying and the repsonses I saw...I already doubt their product quality...and now their customer service with no response as of yet! I hoped for better in both aspects.

I went ahead and glued the support that broke off so easily with Wurth KA gel glue. I also sealed both the output grommet where it meets the body and the output pipe where it meets the grommet with aquarium sealant.Probably won't be set to go til Sunday night or Monday as I wanna give everything proper curing time.

The unfortunate thing was that the skimmer was working beautifully before I discovered the leak :(.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Nismo, I feel your pain, my friend.
    I had to be patient. I knew several people that had these skimmer and they were very happy. Of course, the company was not as busy 7 months ago as it is today. They are known to take some time to reply. Look at my thread again, you'll see that they answered a day or two after I started posting about the issue, in their own forum! Sometimes it can be frustrating, so I don't blame you for your lack of patience. All I knew at the moment is that my skimmer wasn't working and I already had nothing to lose since I paid for it in full.

I would have tried the same thing you did and run that silicone bead around the uni-seal. I also don't believe that this leak would interfere with the proper functionality of the aparatus, but if it makes you feel safer or better, do the modification.. I know I would, just in case.

I was without a skimmer for a little more than a week but wasn't too woried. I was without one for months before I bought the PSK-200. Once I was able to get it working it started to perform just as good as when it was brand new.

Good luck, bud. Hope you get it going. Keep us updated.

- Mag.

10. Nismo400rgtr

Good reply Magnus...well said.

I never did get a response to that e-mail but it matters not now. Skimmer is up and running as of 10/11!! No leaks whatsoever and holding well on the back of the tank. Adjustment is very sensitive,like I had read. I don't have much for bio-load so it isn't producing anything really foul yet but it's still new. I know it'll take time to break-in and get dialed. Just when I thought I had it perfect for a few hours,I shut it off to feed and it was back to square one once re-started. I've been on top of this thing for the last 30+ hours since hooking it up,literally!! Wake up in the middle of the night just to check it and adjust!! LOL. I've been home sick since yesterday so I've had the time! I'm guessing a skimmer isn't a set-it and forget-it component of a reef aquarium...but then again,what is?