Eshopps Nano Skimmer Reviewed

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by reefmonkey, Mar 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Glad to hear they took care of you :)

2. Click Here!

3. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

so ive been looking for a very very quiet skimmer for my 10 gallon tank.... looks like this isn't what i'm looking for?

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Mine is very quiet IMO. It is in my kitchen and you can barely notice it.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

After a week of frustration I was finally able to recover my youtube account. All of my hobby related videos are once again public.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I noticed in the 3rd video you have part of the pump out of water, is that alright?

Also, I was told to take the sponge out from the bottom, how does that effect it.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's fine that the pump is out of the water. It's intake is on the face that is down. I've wanted to see how dry of foam I could make this skimmer generate and have had the pump only 1/8th submersed.

I don't know about taking the sponge out or how it would effect performance. IMO if it's not broke don't fix it.

8. Click Here!

9. ClippersTown

ClippersTown Fire Worm

mine's in my bedroom. I don't care about water related sounds, but what irritates me is vibration, or loud buzzing type sounds.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As long as the pump is submerged, I barely notice it.

11. Chalky

Chalky Plankton

Hi -
    I recently bought this skimmer and have had it running for about 3 weeks. It has only produced a foam head in the collection cup neck once for maybe an hour or two. Otherwise, it just produces small bubbles. I have tried it at different water depths but still no foam. The one time it was foaming was when I removed it from the tank and cleared a blocked air line and Venturi pump input. I also cleaned some brown film in the collection cup neck. I also have a large Eshopps filter sponge that sits just before the skimmer in the same compartment. The water first flows into the sponge before being pulled into the skimmer. The tanks main return pump is in the 3rd chamber right after the 2nd chamber containing the skimmer. I have it in a one month old saltwater setup with live rock, clean up crew and 3 small fish. I lightly feed once a day. It is in the rear middle chamber of my all in one biocube 29 tank. Eshopps tech support said the water may just not have enough gunk in it yet because it is a new tank and to give it more time. Could that be why it isn't producing a foam head in the cup? Lastly, when I cleaned the skimmer I also removed the large sponge for cleaning and noticed the water was dirty from the sponge. Maybe that was why the skimmer was able make a foam head at that time. I am also wondering if the skimmer should still make a foam head even when the water is clean and there are no organics to pull? This is my first skimmer so I don't know what to expect. Please help me? Thanks.