Eshopps Nano Skimmer Reviewed

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by reefmonkey, Mar 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Last fall Eshopps announced the release of their line of nano sized skimmers. At the time it came in as the smallest footprint on any venturi driven skimmer. The design was so innovative. Eshopps won an award for design.

I had the skimmer in my possession for approximately 3 months before I even had a tank set up that was appropriate for it's review. The skimmer currently is working in a 6.3 gallon AIO system with a net display volume of 4.9 gallons. I received the skimmer I own directly from those in charge at Eshopps. It was free of charge and intended as a review item. That fact does not interpret my review. Normally the skimmer would retail at a MSRP of $109.99

This skimmers dimensions are (H x D x W) 11.5" x 2.25" x 4.5". Each skimmer comes complete with body, Sicce pump, air line and filter/noise reducer, collection cup and magnetic hold.
    [​IMG]

The packaging is exceptional. A soft foam cut out ensures minimal damage during shipping. Each piece of the skimmer has a cut out section to hold it securely in the foam padding. A complete page of set up instructions rests on top of the foam covering.
    [​IMG]

As with any piece of equipment, there are both pro's and cons. I'll discuss the cons first.

1. I have experienced micro bubbles in my display even though it is set up inside of the return area chamber on my AIO. This is an issue that has been brought to my attention by many hobbyists who have purchased this skimmer. At this time there is no real fix to the issue because the micro bubbles are released at the joint of the skimmer body and return pump.

2. Noisy pump issues. When I first set my skimmer up the pump was incredibly noisy and did not produce any quality micro bubbles projected into the skimmer body. This is due to an oversight of quality control at the manufacturer. Many of the first released skimmers made it to the shelves with the wrong Sicce pumps. A simple call to Eshopps will net you a replacement impeller that will completely silence your skimmer during operation.

3. Pump Placement. It is my belief that the design of this skimmer could have incorporated the placement of the pump on the bottom of the skimmer body instead of connecting to the side. It is my feeling that this would streamline the foot print of the skimmer and add to the diversity of usable space intended for the skimmer itself.

4. Magnetic hold. The magnets need to be stronger. Even though the inner (wet side) magnet has a rubber o-ring type stopper, the level of the skimmer will change when the cup is removed or replaced, unless you have a hold of the body. Mine is set up on 3/8" acrylic and I must get a finger under the air line clip bracket each time I replace the collection cup or face retuning the skimmer.

One final item that is only partly con is that though the skimmer is venturi driven, the pump itself only contains a 'normal' impeller. The bubble production inside the body is outstanding but I am led to wonder if it would be improved with the addition of a needle-wheel impeller.

The Pros of this skimmer are just about obvious.

1. The small footprint of this skimmer allow it to be utilized in almost any sized nano AIO system available on the market today. Mine is set up in the return chamber of a Aqueon Evolve 8.
    [​IMG]

2. The skimmer is rated for systems 10-35 gallons. Again the foot print comes into play as there are not many other venturi driven skimmers of this size rated for this small of volumes. I actually would rate this at systems up to 35 gallons. My system is a total volume of 6.9 gallons and this skimmer is more than enough to get the job done.

3. Ease of adjustment. The magnetic hold does what it was designed to do, making the water level within the skimmer easy to adjust. To bad it doesn't hold better (see cons above).

4. Cost. This is a big plus. At just over one hundred dollars I guarentee you will not find a comparable skimmer in this class.

I've had this skimmer set up and running for just over a month now. Foam production control is as simple as raising or lowering the body of the skimmer. It set up easy, it broke in completely in a matter of days without any additional washing of the body, and is quiet as well as efficient at removing dissolved wastes from the water column.
    As a matter of personal choice and opinion, I believe I will add a barb and drain line to the collection cup because I find myself emptying it on a daily basis. The size of the cup could be listed as a con but I chose not to simply because a larger diameter/volume cup would jeopardize the aesthetics of the skimmer.

Videos of the break in period are posted below...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Fantastic review. Bravo :clapping:

I am curious where the inside magnet resides - is it as shown on the box?

2 people like this.
  4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you.

Yes it is located as in the picture on the box. The inside magnet is encased in an acrylic housing which is welded to the skimmer body.
    Suppose I should have included this pic :)
    [​IMG]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the pic. :)
    I suppose they thought the strength was good so that you could move it up and down easily. I have a Tunze magnet that takes a strong person to move at all. It doesn't slide on it's own other than when you clean the cup does it?

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

No it stays in place unless you are messing with the cup. The magnets are strong just not strong enough IMO. Another fix may be complete rubber backing on both halves instead of just the ring on the wet side.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks for the review! I may add one to my Evolve 8 now that I know for sure it will fit ;)

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

For it to fit nicely you'll have to modify your return on the AE8. I used a step drill and actually moved mine.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Oh ok. I have no problem with DIY. Good to know though!

11. Barneyisme

Barneyisme Plankton

I have this skimmer, can you set your videos to public so I can view them? I've never set up a skimmer before and need some help.

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I would but apparently I've been hacked. I have no access to my youtube account and recovery emails are all invalid. :/