Epsom salt and salinity

Discussion in 'Salt' started by trent51593, May 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

What ratio of borax to baking soda do you use, also whats the ratio of Mag. Sulfide to Mag. Chloride.

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

If you don't feel comfortable with the cheaper solution or have some serious doubts maybe is best for u to go with an additive that is got the proper dose already printed on the bottle label, might be not much of a difference in price anyway, not being sure in how, often, when, much, to add. and probably leading to disaster, I am sure there is many reef guru's that can tell you the right mixture ratio.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Check out the video contest and the Show Off Your Fishtanks Forum :)

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

4 parts Arm & Hammer to 1 part Borax.
    And, Wildreef, I'm sure you've read, but doubt you understood what I wrote.

The concentration of Magnesium needed in our tanks 1300-1500 ppm, is much less than the concentration of epsom salt used for a foot bath. The Magnesium concentration (ppm) contributes less than 4% to the overall specific gravity of the water in our tanks.

Here's a quick picture:
    A 100 gallon tank requires 50 cups of salt mix to bring the salinity to 33 ppt, with an SG of about 1.024.
    This 100 gallon tank may only require 2 cups of epsom salt to bring the magnesium up to 1500 ppm (depending on which salt mix, ect...), and might raise the total SG to 1.025.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Heck I use the money I save on using common earth element to buy top of the line equipment to help maintain my tank. :) That way I have something to show for the money instead of an empty bottle with some nice printing on it... lol

7. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

1st, what actualy is the purpose of *borax* ?
    2nd, What are the "specific" ratio mixtures of borax/arm and hammer/epson salts ?
    3rd, Whats the specific use/purpose of arm&hammer/borax ?
    Are you guys mixing arm & hammer/borax together and then dosing epson salts on its own ?.
    If you are dosing epson salts on a regular basis to bump your magnseium
    then the 4% that you speak of will build up over time with *sulfide* not chlorides.
    And to my knowledge *sulfide* can be detrimental to a tank used over time.
    And if I/you guys used it only every so often to boost Mag. from time to time, then why not forgo the epson salt (mag sulfate) all together and use
    mag chloride.

Edited: 4/1 ratio ok. ( specific purpose of this though please explain ? )

8. Click Here!

9. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

The arm&hammer is for your alk and is dosed just to raise your alk. up if you need to.That does work, I use it to bump my alk up slightly if i need to, it worked for my freshwater also. Im still not sure on what the borax does but im sure it does some good (Tangster and many others use it).

The epsom salt is only dosed when you need to raise your mag. up to proper levels. From what i have read if you do reqular water changes then the sulfides dont have a chance to build up in your system. But i am no expert so maybe someone else will chime in and tell me if im wrong or not lol.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor