Epsom salt and salinity

Discussion in 'Salt' started by trent51593, May 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

I was getting ready to dose some epsom salt to raise my mag. and was thinking, wont it raise my salinity level?

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Nope!

1 person likes this.
  4. trent51593

Oh ok lol that helps out a lot. Thanks Otty. One other quicky, do you dose and how much in a 1 gal. container?

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I would do a test to see where your levels are then add about a 1/2 cup in a good flow area then test again in 4 hrs to see where your levels are. That way you can calculate from there how much more or less you need to add.
    When you finally get your figures right don't raise it more then 100 in a 24 hr period.

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but are you using Epsom Salt with only magnesium sulfide? I picked up some mag last night, and it's only mag sulfide, not mag chloride.
    Does it matter, as I see some of the expensive brand stuff has both in it?
    Thanks.
    Also I picked up arm & hammer (the 1lb box used to de-odorize the fridge) - will this kind work for raising Alk? I also got Borax 20 mule team laundry booster to mix it with.
    Doe it matter which you do first?
    Should I raise the Alk, then add Mag and Ca? or the other way around.
    I know you should wait a little while between adding the Ca, Mag, and bicarbonates.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Start a new thread so your questions can be answered without detracting form the answers here.

J

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You actually have to mix them but I forget the ratio. I'll send Roger this link so if/when he goes online, he can send you PM. Or maybe Scott or somebody else knows :)

10. trent51593

I have never heard of the Borax thing. Whats it do? Also yes the Epsom salt just has 100% mag sulfide. Was told to raise Mag. then raise my alk and cal. so they stay stable.

11. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

trent you have been miss informed about the epsom salt changing salinity it dose chage it i just did a test with some of my tank water wich is at 1.025 in a 1g container and added about 1c of epsom salt to it took another reading and the epsom salt made the hydrometer max out due to it beeing changed

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I along with many others on here dose mg with epsom salt with no ill effects to salinity whatsoever. I don't know if maybe you are getting that reading because it is a hydrometer or what but I have dosed my 55 several times and my refracometer reading hasn't changed at all. Your good to go, FYI 1/2 cup raises my mg 55-60 ppm in my 55.

1 person likes this.