Engineer Goby..The killer

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Yuri Kapustin, Oct 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

To my understanding EG are reef safe.
    Ive had my EG for about a year now, I got it when he was the size of a quarter and now he is almost 10 inches long. Never in his life has he bothered any of my 8 chromis or any other fish.
    What im thinking however is that your chromis are simply dying and he is just eating the bodies not actually killing them. Chromis are known to die for no reason pretty quickly on a tank. ( at least many people say they die within a few weeks of having them on the tank) Ive had 8 chromis for about a year and they are doing well **knock on wood*

either that or you have something else in the tank. I really doubt your EG is killing them.

i just cheked the date of this thread.. 2 years old.. :p

2. Click Here!

3. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

I bought my Engineer Goby as a juvie, so I know for certain that's what he is. Most definitely not an herbivore, and never was. Now nearly 5 inches long, the other fish have to fight to get meaty foods. I've also recently had a green chromis, a yellowtail damsel, and a purple firefish disappear in just two weeks. They were all still healthy and eating the last time i saw them. I suspected the EG, and now you've confirmed it...

4. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

It's for certain that one can find rogues from the most passive species, and completely harmless individuals from the worst family of rogues. I'm just not too sure which is which at this point concerning the Engineer Goby...

I didn't notice until I read your post. Who's the culprit that revived it? :D

Cheers

5. magik626

magik626 Plankton

enginner goby

my goby does the same thing...mine draged in a lil godfish!?

6. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

Most people dont know but Engineer Gobys are very aggressive and will eat almost anything they can swallow when the reach adult. They also dig very big burrows that can be destructive to rockwork in a aquarium.

7. loki29

loki29 Plankton

goby

I can put an end to this. I just watched my eg bash a red scooters face in. And after I watched this I picked up the eg home and found two clown fish and another red scooter[

8. Click Here!

9. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

ok this might be off topic but seeing the video kind of makes me want to get an engieer goby now

10. loki29

loki29 Plankton

If you want your fish to die be my gues. Iv now lost two clown fish, two red scooter, and maybe a powder blue to this monster. They all have the same sighs. A based in head. I watch two of the attacks happen my scooter got within five inches of the eg hole and it rushed out bashing my poor scooter head into a live rock. The next attack... And last... Was during feeding he came out and attacked my favorite clown fiah, but I was able to prevent the clowns death... But only for a little bit. The poooor thing could not recover from a mangled face. Si I did the most logical thing with the eg goby..... I let my octopus take a swing at him... And we all k ow who won that fight ;)

11. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden Plankton

I'm looking for a visually different companion for a small snowflake eel and a small olive and gold "American" eel. both eels are now about 12 to 14 inches.
    They will all be going into a new tank together at the same time.

the Snowflake eel and the American eel have been fine together for a year and a half now in a small tank. they are ready for an upgrade.

thank you for any thoughts you have on this.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You may want to start your own thread for this. It would certainly get more views that way. But you would need to include other information such as tank size, equipment, and what you are looking for in terms of "companion".