Eating a Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Not sure if this is paleo, but chopped up cabbage with kale, vinegar and olive oil is THE BEST.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If only it were that easy. :)

That's great meal. And while potatoes are technically considered a starchy grain, a sweet potato here and there isn't going to hurt. I like mine with a small bit of butter and garlic. It makes for a good snack too (if you are going to snack).

4. Seano Hermano

I do like romaine lettuce with some hummus and/or raspberry salsa. Just spoon it on and roll up the lettuce.

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Bear in mind that people have been eating grain and potatoes for a very, very long time.
    As WhiskeyTango said, non-processed is best but hard to find unless you grow your own and "process" it yourself.

6. Seano Hermano

A cauliflower/broccoli mix makes a great side to go along with the pork. I just added some olive oil, 3 cloves of chopped garlic, and a dash of salt. Mix it up in a bowl, and let cook in a 9" x13" pan for 30 minutes in the oven at 325* F.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I dig the paleo diet, it always made sense to me. Tho starches and dairy are delicious, they should be small percentage of a well rounded diet.

To delve even further, many folks believe it's best to also stick with the types of base foods that were the staple of your particular heritage. For example, if your family roots go back generations in Italy or Ireland, it may not be a good idea for your particular body to eat a banana every day... there is still much controversy over that, but it's interesting food for thought.

Some of the hunters I know that eat venison all the time are in great shape. As Ted Nuge always says, venison is rocket fuel for the body!

I have and had quite a few vegetarian and vegan friends. Ironically, they really don't know squat about nutrition. They have weak bodies and poor immune systems topped with crappy attitudes towards meat eaters.
    Prime Example, if you or I have a vegetarian friend over for dinner, will we make them a dinner, or a single meal, of something that they can enjoy? I assume 98% of folks will say yes. Now, if you have dinner over a vegetarians house, will they cook you a meal with meat that you can enjoy? ...I think we all know the answer to that is a resounding NO! Apparently they never accepted the fact that man's brain has been growing exponentially from the protein in meat. I guess they also don't agree with what our K9 teeth are for. I know mine certainly don't help with raw fruits and veggies. - end of ignorant hippie earthy crunchy know-it-all-save-the-planet-crusaders rant.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

I cannot respect veganism. It's simply not healthy. Humans where made to consume meat and animal products. I can however, respect people who only purchase free range meat and dairy.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I disagree 100%. I know several vegans who are not only healthy but who are extremely strong and athletic. I am in no way, shape or form a vegan or vegetarian but you can't dismiss it as a way of life if you don't know enough about it. You can live well without consuming animal products. You just have to know what you're doing.

11. SwimsWithFish

I'm assuming they take supplements for lack of calcium and protein right?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, they just eat a well balanced diet. Protein and other essential supplements can be found in tons of other foods like beans, lentils, other legumes, etc. In order to be a "successful" vegan, you really have to know what you're doing and plan ahead when it comes to meals. It's a lot of work but once you "get it" I suppose that it gets easier. Don't expect to eat out much though because not many restaurants have true vegan meals available.