Eating a Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

That asparagus looks bomb.

My wife and I have been considering the Paleo diet. A good friend of hers is on it and has some awesome recipes apparently.

And definitely know what you mean about the FDA. I did a research paper on political corruption in our food system, things are grim to say the least.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I'm glad you enjoy it! Without finding an actual recipe, I didn't have much of a clue what to make. It's actually pretty simple to cook most of the stuff, and there are paleo substitutes for some of the major baking ingredients. I like to use almond butter instead of peanut butter, and coconut oil instead of olive oil/lard (when cooking on the stove). Almond flour and coconut flour are a bit expensive, but will allow you to make baked goods without using traditional wheat flour. I much prefer almond milk over cows milk. It has a sweeter taste too.

Ha! What the heck. :p I see an ad about fixing your thyroid gland...lol.

4. Seano Hermano

5. Inertiatic

Sounds like you have a nice setup going.

Had no idea coconut flour existed. What about pastas and such, are there any alternatives for those?

6. Seano Hermano

Pastsa in general? - not particularly. I've had lasagna before though. Zucchini is used instead of the noodles. It tastes pretty good. The texture was kind of unique, but I like it.

I hope to get a garden planted next month so we can make fesh foods right from the back yard. I'm planning to do bell, bannana and (maybe) chili peppers. In addition to zucchini and/or cucumbers, romaine lettuce, green beans, broccoli, kale, oregano, basil, parsley and dill.

7. Inertiatic

Didn't think so :( We love our carbs, probably the biggest thing holding us back.

Hope the garden works out, always nice to grow your own food.

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

We do asparagus like that on the grill. Put it in an aluminum tin, butter (or light oil) and garlic, cover with foil and grill. Delicious.

For tortillas, try the corn rather than flour. I don't like flour tortillas, no taste and too filling. I love corn tortillas, though.

10. Seano Hermano

Surprisingly, with a quick Google search, sauteed cabbage makes a good alternative to spaghetti. I never would have thought of that, but I bet it tastes good. :)

I'm not certain, but I think this guy puts Worcestershire sauce on it.

Paleo Pasta Alternative : Sauteed Cabbage - YouTube

11. Seano Hermano

SushiGirl, corn is still considered a grain when it is processed to be used in baking. ;) Better than flour though.

But cooking veggies on the grill is a good idea. Last summer we made kabobs using eggplant, squash, onion, peppers, and mushroom. They were delicious. ;D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Right, but no meat unless it was dispatched by driving it over a cliff or with a handmade spear. ;)

When you are out and about and you don't have time to fashion any paleo tech for a quick meal of local fauna, a good rule of thumb is to eat like your great grand parents did. Staying away from foods that are manufactured, processed, or packaged will produce a similar goal.

I had a nice "paleo" meal tonight of grilled chicken thighs, steamed kale and a sweet potato. Sorry no pics.