Eating a Paleo Diet

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

We eat diner out quite often, and in an attempt to eat more nutritiously, I decided to start eating “paleo foods.” It's a good choice long-term, and also helps when trying to lose weight.

Paleo cooking is based heavily on lean meats/fresh veggies (for the most part avoiding the starchy ones)/nuts. It kind of follows food guidelines of earlier hunter/gatherers, with some modifications. With agriculture and grain being so changed since it first began, grains currently actually cause us to become more hungry (which Is ironic because the FDA food guidelines say they should be the base of our diets). Some more info on this will come later.

The intent of this thread will be to share some of the meals we have made. Primarily, cooking relatively inexpensively. I thought maybe some people would be interested. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Yesterday we made 'paleo chicken fijitas'. It's basically just regular fajitas, but without the tortia (flour is obviously grain, and corn is considered a grain when it is not in kernels/or on cob). So you just eat it with a fork. :p I forgot to take a picture, but it looks like this. You would normally have this with a side, like roasted potatoes or roasted carrots (but we didn't have time).

Chicken Fajitas | Paleo on a Budget

Tonight we made beef stirfry. It's beef, mixed veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato) and herbs (garlic, basil, oregano, dill, salt, pepper).

[​IMG]

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I do raw food sometimes, its really good.

5. Seano Hermano

Ah, yes. I love broccoli and hummus. :D

I've also experimented with dehydrated veggie chips. Some taste better than others. lol. The kale ones were pretty good with some olive oil, salt, and garlic on them.

6. Seano Hermano

I forgot to mention, the diet also puts a imit on the amount of legumes/dairy you eat. So you might ask, what do you eat for breakfast? Tomorrow, I am going to try almond banana pancakes. :) Another option would be coconut-flour pancakes.

7. Seano Hermano

They don't look nearly as neat and consistent in size as they do in the recipe, but they sure tasted good. :)

[​IMG]

I used this recipe, but instead of butter, I used oconut oil, and had heat on low-med instead of med to prevent cooking too quickly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

That's really neat Sean! One thing I've definitely have learned is that you can't trust the FDA. Their definition of meat(and I'm being serious) is "flesh of animal". I think the paleo diet is pretty cool and kinda puts food through our bodies that we were meant to eat(although we could tolerate a lot).

And also, kale FTW:D

10. Seano Hermano

Thanks! It's pretty messed up that the FDA is so much the way it is. It doesn't even really make sense. But paleo does, and it works for me.

You might like this one, Mattias.

Kale + Tomato{ish} Soup | Paleo on a Budget

I will make these sometime soon. :)

my paleo kitchen: Omelet Muffins

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  11. Seano Hermano

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Thanks for the links to all that. We kinda eat like cavemen anyway, so will be great to find some recipes LOL.

And as I'm reading your post, there's an ad below your post touting 5 foods not to eat so you can lose belly fat...with a pic of a banana! :lol: