Duncans - Duncanopsamia axifuga

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by MDeth, Jun 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Duncanopsamia axifuga
    June 2007 - Coral of the Month

[​IMG]

Type: LPS
    Origin: Australia

Aquarium Needs

Lighting:
    Some consider it to be like a dendro, although it likes light as well as any food you can give it :)
    I originally had mine at the bottom of the tank, and since moving 1/2way up they have expanded 3x! They went from penny/nickel sized to about 1" at times!

Water Quality:
    Good. May be sensitive to nitrates, but it seems most Aussie corals are quite hardy.

Current:
    Really doesn't matter. They seem to like a flow random flow, but they can fully encase themselves in their skeleton (easy to remove waste from themselves). High flow will make the polyps smaller and possibly stress them as with any LPS coral

Feeding: As much as you can :p Feed at least every other day, but you could feed 2x daily if it'll take it.

Growth:
    They grow like hammers, frogspawns, candycanes etc, by separating branches. Growth is usually based on feeding with LPS corals. I've only had my two heads for a short time, but will update if i get a split!
    I have heard reports of a new head or two every month with regular feeding.

Aggressiveness: It is an LPS which all have stinging tentacles so care should be taken to place them at least 2" away from other coral. Mine can rise about 1" out of the tube, and expand to about 1.5" at the biggest during the day. Don't worry about shrimp with these guys (I hope...) One of my sexy shrimp hosts them and actually sits on the mouth!

Personal Observations

This is my new FAVORITE coral! Honestly...I could have 50+ heads in my BC14 and be happy :)

Their tentacles are very 'sticky' and very easy to target feed. Just point and squeeze :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Just starting to see these in Canada, but the only ones I've seen so far are beige with a hint of green. Are there other colours?
    Any Pics

J

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Just added pics, there are 3 varities I've seen

check out zoafrags.com Hes got a 'tricolor' as well as the green pictured.

Then there are the ones you are referring to.

ps - I borrowed the pic, so I'll have to replace it when I get my g/fs camera

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I was too fast I did realize you just posted. Very cool coral.

J

6. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

These are from my LFS.Same Duncan different camera settings.It is bigger than a basketball and extends up to 2 inches.I have the green one in MDeths pic. duncan 1 002_edited (Small).jpg

duncan 1 003_edited (Small).jpg

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice!! I plan on getting these soon!

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

very nice! I love the color! can I put that in my tank? I'd love to start with a pretty one!

10. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

They are very hardy.Mine has been in temps. up to 35C and it's still thriving.It seems to like a lot of light.Loves a feed.

11. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Aussie anything seems to be HARDY. I hear many rumors now that the Aussie elegance corals actual LIVE in captivity :)

BTW, I'm going to have a crazy new FTS soon :p

1 person likes this.
  12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice pick on coral of the month. 8)
    Karma your way!