DSB questions?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Pdxile, Sep 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

Im leaning toward installing a DSB, because I like the way it looks. I don't like my shallow ones, and barebottom is out of the question for me. I'm doing a big re-aquascape soon and it would be the perfect time. I know anything works until it fails, but that is true of so many other things in our tanks.

I don't really want to start a debate, but I'd like to know:
    1. What us the optimum depth?
    2. Is there maintenance that can be employed, or is it hands-off untill the bed us full.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

There were several good threads on this topic a while back so you may want to do a search so that you can get more information. It has always been my understanding that a true DSB should be 4-6 inches and be left alone until it is "full." I believe that there needs to be an anaerobic layer at the bottom for it to fuctio properly and that disturbing that layer destroys the system. Im sure that others will chime in and hopefully you will get more information than debate! Good luck!

4. Pdxile

Yes, there is a ton to read about DSB's, and I hope I have gleaned a lot of info. Yet they all seem to turn into debates, making the decision more difficult. There are so many opinions out there. I am hoping for something along the lines of "if you must have a DSB, here are the best practices" :)

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

IMO, it's important to have the right critter diversity in a deep sand bed. They will take care of everything! I have a few friends that have run the same deep sand beds for 20+ years. Their sand beds don't get full! They all have diversity in the critter populations. The most important thing is to not have sand feeding/sifting critters that will consume the good gritters of your sand bed.

6. Pdxile

I agree 100% about the sand-sifters and the gobies. But what do you think about nassarius snails?

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Nassarius snails only burrow on the top layer of the sandbed, and only eat food on top of it. So they are just fine for a DSB AFAIK.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

+1

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Without debating here, and I realize you want a DSB- while I have many
    critters im my SSB- my vote is don't do it! ;)

And As G stated, I've too also seen many that worked well. (and some that didn't), but you already knew that

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

My 5-6" 330 lb Southdown DSB is over 11 years old and never been touched. I do have Nassarius snails as well as many others for diversity and I try to avoid digging critters other than one wrasse I inherited from a friend about 6 years ago who only buries himself at night and doesn't bother much. In the early years, maybe at the two year mark, I got a Sand Sifting Star against all advice and it wiped my pod and spaghetti work population out in no time at all. It went back to the LFS and never again.

I have 7-8 fish but feed sparingly, usually 5 times a week skipping a day here and there and split feedings between spirulina algae flake, frozen PE Mysis and frozen Cyclopeeze. There is never a build up on the DSB as there is plenty of circulation with two WP-25's and a WaterBlaster HY-5000 return pump from the 30G sump holding a ASM G-2 skimmer and two Phosban reactors containing minimal dosages of GFO and GAC.

12. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

in my opinion weather your sand bed is 5'' or 10'' sooner or later your tank will crash it may take 10 years or more but it will happen. in a close system it is not possible for it to go on forever. in my opinion it is best to vaccum the sand bed so I would not go over 3 or 4 inches deep, 3 times a year I vaccum and I never have clean sand it is always dirty