DSB in Fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by djbonney138, Jan 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I am building a new sump/fuge. It is made from a 20 gallon long. The left compartment is my skimmer, center is the return, right will be my dsb. I want to promote pod growth and nitrifying bacteria. My sand bed dimensions will be 9 1/2" wide by 12" deep by 6" tall. The calculator says I will need 30 lbs.
    Question 1) Will this be a big enough area to accomplish what I want? (75 gallon DT)
    Question 2) What size sand should I use?

2. Click Here!

3. djbonney138

Hello? Bueller? Beuller?

4. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

For denitrifying, you only need low oxygen, you don't necessarily need no oxygen as that can lead to other nasties. Use a sugar sized sand and you can probably cut the depth from 6" to 4". You want a fine sand to limit the amount of flow into the bed (carries oxygen) and you want any detritus to stay on top of the bed where the fuge CUC can get it. You want the activity of the SB critters to move water in and out of the SB. Avoid going really deep with a coarse sand as you will get to much detritus in it and the little critters will not be able to move through it.

1 person likes this.
  5. djbonney138

6. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

7. djbonney138

I thought you might say that. My local store has the size I posted. Thanks for your input. K+

8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Full disclosure...

I have no real DSB experience. Did a ton of research on it during my set-up and even bought all the substrate. I had it in my fuge for about 2 months and wasn't seeing any activity in the bed. So, I got concerned about it going stagnant and tore it out leaving only a 1-2" bed. I decided that the risks outwayed the rewards. It's a pretty two sided argument with those that say they're vital and those that say it's not needed. I think you can be successful either way. I'm just not sure how long you can take to develop the fauna in the bed before it goes bad. If I was to do it over again, I would try to find a fellow reefer with an established DSB that could give a cup full of sand and all the critters you need to get it started.

10. djbonney138

The conflicting information is why I posted the questions. There is a ton of info out there and it seems like everything I read conflicts with something I read before. No clear answers on this one it seems.

11. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

For sure on that.

In my own mind, I narrowed it down to three main advantages.

1. Reduction in nitrates.
    2. Bio-diversity and coral health with various spawnings as food source.
    3. They're cool to watch (if you're into the bugs in the sand thing, which I am)

For me, it came to the fact that there are other ways to control nitrates (my chaeto ball seems to be doing the trick so far) and it wasn't worth the risk. I have a ton of pods (not sure if it's as diverse if it was a DSB) and I can watch them too.

I think it's a personal choice with no right or wrong answer. You can be very successful or very unsuccessful with or without a DSB. It comes down to whether or not you understand the DSB mechanics and are willing to make sure your DSB stays healthy.

Good luck on the decision!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  12. Beechnut

Beechnut Astrea Snail

Check out Tropic Eden for sand. I just used their mini flakes for my aquarium. You could use their sugar sand .5mm sized. Plus, the sand rinses sooooo quickly! Hardly any cloudiness.