Dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cody3819, Jul 25, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

He explained to me that within a few days all the coral use up the iodine.... And that we should replace it as this is what helps in tissue repair.. I didn't want to get it at first as I know not to dose what I don't test but then he explained that he never test he just adds a very small amount a few times in between water changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Cody, keep things simple. You have an awesome tank. Don't render that by adding additives that aren't necessary.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thats untrue cody and unless hes dosing your tank he has no idea what your tank consumes. I'd return it. Like civic said, keep it simple.

cody3819 likes this.
  5. cody3819

I will leave it be.... I out 1 mil in... I just want awesome color and growth. And I believe that's why I bought it. Do you guys dose iodine? See I burnt a few zoas when I first got my lights and they really are not growing and he said that the iodine would help?

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Keeping the big 3 stable and consistent will do more than putting iodine in your tank. I seriously don't believe your corals are depleting iodine from your tank to where it needs dosed. If you start dumping things into your tank that you cant test for, disaster can happen very quickly. I dont see how the LFS is saying your iodine is low when they never tested it. Its easy to get caught up in better color and growth but stability with parameters will be your best bet. Zoas will melt sometimes, it happens. I can't tell you how many colonies that have melted right next to another that is still growing. The coral pro salt will have all the iodine, potassium, ect, that your tank needs.

Lovemyreef2015 and cody3819 like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cody3819

Thanks DSC, I have only been in this hobby for a year and I do read but when people are saying things and there tanks are much better than mine I seem to take there advice. Thanks for straining me out.

DSC reef likes this.
  10. cody3819

Thanks DSC, I have only been in this hobby for a year and I do read but when people are saying things and there tanks are much better than mine I seem to take there advice. Thanks for straightening me out.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. cody3819

Well gents in my true fashion instead of returning my iodide I'm going to get the seachem iodine/iodide test kit... I know you guys may be upset with me, sorry guys, but I must say I put that 1 mil and watched my tank over a few days and my soft coral are really pretty and open... I have a mushroom I have been struggling with and now it's open and getting pretty, it's old so it's been through it all lol. This is my hobby and also a on going experiment so I will try to give my reef the most I can. Thank you guys for your great input! I will keep you posted.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

As long as you can test then theres nothing wrong with dosing cody. Iodide is essential but its easily over dosed.

cody3819 likes this.