Dosing Kalk via ATO?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Corailline, Apr 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My ATO container holds 5.5 gallons of water.

I have never put kalk in an ATO because I have heard that it burns out the pumps too quickly and can cause failure of the tubing. Makes sense it's such a strong base.

So if I mix 1 gallon of water with 2 tsp of kalk should the mixture be diluted enough as to not cause issues with the pump if that gallon of kalk mixture is diluted in the 4 gallons in the ATO?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was using 4 tbl spoons per 5 gallons for awhile with no issues, granted that doesn't mean much.

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I use 33 tsps in my 35g have been for about 5 months and have had no issues other than the suction cups won't stick the the wall, which was a problem before i added kalk.

5. Corailline

Can you provided numbers? Ca/Alk and pH if possible please.
    How long have you been using this method?

Why did you stop Kevin?

6. Corailline

MarineDepot and zesty like this.
  7. mdbostwick

I am at work at the moment but will check them and post them for you when i get home.

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I started using Kalk in November and, thanks to Aquarimate for keeping record for me, my pH bobbed from 7.8 to 8.1 between september and october last year. I would always check my parameters after midnight when i got off work so this is just its day to day fluctuation and not reflecting how much it traveled throughout the day. My Alk would fluctuate from about 8 to 10.5 sometimes 11 (yeah, it was bad). Calcium was around 370 to 450. No wonder I had so much trouble with my coral color and growth, I'm surprised they survived!:confused:

My pH today is 8.42 at 2:28am and is pretty consistent only seeing it rise when the ato kicks in and it goes up to 8.5 and back down within about 2 minutes. I will be able to get a better understanding of how my pH looks throughout the day when I get the wifi attachment for the reef angel and will be able to chart it.

My Alk is 9.8 and it fluctuates from about 9.6 - 9.9 from day to day so i am pretty pleased with this from what it was before.

Calcium I check about once a week and it fluctuates about 5 ppm either side of 430, I never had too much of a problem with the calcium just never could dial in the 2 part I was dosing manually so it did travel. It was more of a check the level and adjust every few days.

Let me know if you need anything else. Hope this helps

10. Corailline

8.42 wow, that is awesome.

Thanks for the in depth reply.

11. mdbostwick

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

dosing is as always will be over my head, its complicated. I have been experimenting with kalk in my ato as well and cant get it to dissolve. I just dont understand.