disappointed

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Nov 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK So I guess you are upset because what we (me) said was wrong and the snail ate your xenia. If this is really what happened I would guess you do not have a Turbo snail. It must be some other snail

J

2. Click Here!

3. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So, you are teasing?! I have 4 turbos (1 giant carribean turbo) and they crawl all over my 'shrooms. At worst, the 'shrooms close up tight and open back uo a few minutes later. I did have one eat that big red algae plant the lfs's all have in the tanks for looks. Must have been a delacacy. They gave it to me to start with. MY snails are vegans.
    Anyway, during different phases of my learning,the snails have had their fill of many a "Potpourri de la Algae". "Algae Ala Carte" (hairy) "Algae De Jour" (brown) and topped it all off with a cheap bubbly (green,of course).

Okay....forgive me.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Clowfish are actual in the same family as Damsels. I know several people who use Clowns as cycling fish.

+2 on the snail not being a Turbo. Turbo's do not eat corals. Theres a lot of snails out there that could be passed off as Turbo's. Wheres the pic of the snail in question?

As Amcarrig stated, if you moved your year old sand bed, theres no getting out of a minicycle. Even the disturbance of you transferring the sand will cause some dieoff, anything getting exposed to air can cause some micro critters to die. Theres a lot of things that can cause a Xenia to die rapidily and dissolve into nothing. Dispite popular belief, Xenia is not a starter coral. Its a "newb" coral, not a starter coral. Newb as in, never having it before, never seen what it can do under the right conditions for it. I know a guy with a 125g thats ALL Xenia, its smothered everything else out.

My question is how long have you had the Xenia before it disappeared? If its "half a pinky" and a year old, thats a whole other problem. In the right conditions, Xenia is a weed.

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

with all of this said and everything, this brings up a very important part of this hobby!! It's back to the basics!! Why can't people just let their tanks cycle properly when starting a brand new tank? (I'm not accusing the poster of doing this, and is this by no means me making claims about the owner of the tank) If you cycle a tank properly then everything will work out!! Do the right thing!! again, just venting;)

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I was just kidding. I've had the same five snails in my tank for over a year... I wasn't kidding about one of my mushrooms coming up missing.... :angry:

7. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was being silly as well! Sorry about your mushroom. Any ideas what happened to him?

8. Click Here!

9. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I was just reading , and came across this.. ??

Here's the LINK XeniidCompFAQs

But that's all it says about the snail, no name etc.. Then again, it may not have been his snail..??

A few days ago I bought a pulsating xenia (about four stalks attached to a rock) and now at day 3, some of my tank seems on the decline. The second day with the xenia, I noticed my large pink snail (no idea what type he is) was sucking on the bottom of one of the stalks. The next morning I awoke to that stalk completely gone and a neighboring stalk cut open and melting on the rock.

I went back and read your other thread...
    Not to be rude, but you do need to learn a few manners,
    You are young, and have a whole world open to you here at 3reef..
    I wish I had started in saltwater when I was your age..
    But Mother wouldn't let us get far from the cave ...

Good Luck, Larry

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008