disappointed

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Nov 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would have a hard time believing a snail ate a xenia stalk as well. I guess anything is possible in this world, but odds are, the snail crept over it, it shrivelled up to almost nothing. I don't know. Hard to visualize what happened by reading this thread. It could have been knocked off the rock and onto the sand bed also. I have had that happen, where a hermit or snail and dislodged a small frag and it went tumbling in the current.

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

smaller than half a pinky finger!? is that possible?

4. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Is the snail's stomach pulsing now? :)

In all seriousness, I bet the xenia stalk got dislodged from the rock by the snail and got lost in the current somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you disrupted and moved a one year old sandbed and moved rock that has been in your old tank for a year, you most definitely had a mini-cycle. It might have even occurred within a few hours while you were sleeping and been over with by the next time you tested your water. Turbo snails do not eat corals so unless you've got some other kind of snail, I would blame water quality on the "disappearance" of your coral.

1 person likes this.
  6. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

i think thats the only thing that made sense to me in this entire topic.. cheers

7. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was at the lfs the other day and got sorta upset. Some guy came in bragging about his tank, about all the bright corals and expensive fish. I love tank talk, but after all his knowledge (I thought) he revealed his tank was only 3 weeks old!! I pondered and pondered how can he do that, if it were possible, I didn't know how or never heard of it. I had my tank cycle almost 4 months before adding much at all, just rocks and one damsel. I put all that time and money into a barren tank! My lfs refused to sell me corals! I became sad to know that dudes beautiful animals would probably die. He bought them at the same store, and probably didn't tell the lfs his tank was so new. Or is there some way a new tank can be ready instantly I don't know about? My tank is now 9 months old, and is finally thriving after 2 green algae and 1 brown slimey algae battles.
    It just didn't seem fair!
    FYI, I understand this thread is from a guy who just transferred his stuff to a new tank, so no offense to him. I guess I just needed to vent, for some reason it just affected me so.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

with rock out of a old tank or already "fully cured" rock(which is almost impossible to get unless you cure it your self) a tank could do the nitrogen cycle in a around a week. still might not mean you in the clear though.
    i have seen the owner of a lfs, put together a 400 gallon tank and braging that it cycled within 3 days. it looked good for a week or so and when i came back one day it looked like a planted tank(not on purpose). he got it under control quickly in another week, with a huge phosphate reactor. now this tank had probably over 10 thousand dollars of equipment on it, that was what let him get away with it "relatively easy". a skimmer bigger then me and one of the biggest phosphate reactor i have seen, and a a huge refugium. he still has a diatom algae bloom every once in a while.
    my point you can hurry stuff along in a reef tank but it almost always ends up being a up hill battle. its not unwinnable but it probably will either cost you alot of time or money, prolly both.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I just had a purple mushroom disappear in my tank.. Thats it, I'm pulling out all of my snails..

1 person likes this.
  11. bc219

bc219 Millepora

So I was at petco the other day and this worker told me he set his tank up and had it going in one day, he used some "sea water" they sell at petco, and some "live sand" (lol), actually comes in what looks like 10gal boxes or something. He apparently put fish in it on day 1 and they lived. I think he was full of it. I thought the whole thing was nuts, especially the water they sell.

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I will admit, my first nano cube had live sand and premixed water from petco... It was running 3 days before I added my first clown.. The clown is at my buddies house and thats been a little over 2 and a half years ago.. Miracles do happen.. LOL..... Plus I must have gotten a very, very hardy clownfish..