disappointed

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Nov 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

i posted this thread a while ago and asked if my snail will eat my xenia. i even called every pet store i know and asked them too. i got the same response. no it will not eat it. so i let it proceed and clean the rock, and soon enough it ate the small xenia. the small branch. i am very upset :(

the link to the thread is below.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/stuff-needed-addressed-54124.html#post507523

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Did you catch it in the act?

....I see the problem, you say your tank was setup on October 29th in your signature. Your Xenia died because your tank is only 9 days old. You shouldn't have anything in there except live rock! It will be about 3 or 4 months before you should even think about adding corals. And you need to wait about 6 weeks before adding livestock.

I HIGHLY suggest you get your dottyback, clown, and damsels all out of there or they will surely perish. Besides, that's too many fish for a 20 gallon tank anyways, even if it WAS cycled properly...

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Not quite sure what you are getting at....

1 person likes this.
  5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Snails don't eat corals, period. The coral is gone because it died because the tank is too new.

6. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had xenia perish before, they shrink down to where it looks like it is being eaten. I also have snails- and a urchin and seen both glide over the xenia(before it died) and not causing it any damage and it would open right back up as soon as they got off it. I have quite a few different pieces of coral and never seen my snail damage- or eat any of them. They may crawl over them but in my tank never have they bothered it

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    See those black/white striped damsels? Yep, those ones. They eat xenia.......;) Snails don't;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

My snails clean my coral. and I agree on the damsels snacking on it. but sorry for your loss.

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Same here... lots of snails and zenia. They don't harm anything except the algae I don't like growing on the glass. I don't like damsels for many reasons, I'm lucky mine died before they at my xenia (I didn't know they'd snack on it)!!

11. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I highly doubt that your snails ate your xenia...

12. marc1986

marc1986 Skunk Shrimp

Me too...Did your tank even cycle???