darn ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by the glass guy, Mar 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that is good news that the fish is eating well! Is there anyway to start up a smaller tank to keep your coral (clam and torch) in while you're treating or are you treating in a hospital tank? what are you using to treat the ich?

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks for your help and replies

Kick Ich is what Im using. Only thing I can use because of coral.
    I dont have a QT tank. But with my 90 Ill need to get one. Is a 10g too small for a QT tank? What would be best is to get the 90g running and then use my current 60 as the QT tank. Reason I havent set up 90 is it needs to go in same location that 60 is in. And hurting for money and still needto buy a sump. Looking Eshopps RS-100. For my first sump ever Id rather buy a new one than build one.
    I feel so bad for my fish. Need to have a QT tank to help prevent this. But as a reminder I think I caused this outbreak by using colder water when doign a water change

4. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Either your fish got stressed and previously had ich that was somewhat dormant and was just waiting for the opportune time to attack orrrr it came in with something that you added to your tank unfortunately. Don't feel bad though! We all will deal with it AT LEAST once till we all learn. I'm dealing with it right now, as I am in week 4 of cupramine by Seachem treatment in the HT then it's another 4 weeks of getting the copper out of the HT and observing. I am swearing up and down that I am not going to go through this again. I am one who has never dealt with it in my 8 years or so of reefing and just always took the gamble. Now it is has came back and bit me in the a$$.

A 10 gallon can be used as QT BUT from what I have read and heard that the rule of thumb is normally to have the QT/HT half the gallons of your DT at least. Once your 90 is up and running that will be good. I don't know what your fish list is like but a 10 gallon would work for maybe one or two fish depending on the size. BUT if your 90 gallon tank came down with ich and you wanted to treat all your fish, then you would be out of luck. A 55 gallon for QT would be your best bet just to be on the safe side. You could get away with a 45 gallon too if you go by the rule of thumb.

It's not an easy thing to deal with but at least you are taking the steps to get it resolved. I know I have learned my lesson and from now on it is QT, QT, QT for me from here on out before anything goes in my tank but hang in there!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Can you use cupramine in a reef? Thought kick ich was only reef same meds.
    I'm on day 8 and so annoyed. It's gotten worse. Any day they'll fall off. It's slow with the reef safe meds.
    I'm looking into setting up a QT tank now.

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

If I can find a 10 gallon I might just move my clam and torch into that and use copper in 60g. I have a little plastic 1 gallon tank I used when my maxima was dying. But couldn't keep both clam and torch in that for a couple of weeks. But maybe setup a quick 10g
    We'll see

7. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

I would not use cupramine in a reef aquarium. It is a fantastic product and I guarantee you that it will take care of your ich problem. Cupramine will kill the beneficial bacteria in your tank, aslong with your inverts and I would not consider it coral safe by any means. A QT tank is your best bet even though it may be a hassle. I went and had to spend the extra money to get all the supplies once I realized that the best way to beat this was to put my fish in a HT and let my tank sit fallow for 8 weeks.

You can leave the fish in the tank and hope for the best. Some people leave them alone as they figure that the fish are already stressed enough and moving them will only make it worse. But you have to remember that if you leave them in the tank, you will not see most of the other cycles of ich. Once they have fallen off they will stay in the substrate to continue their life cycle and reproduce to greater numbers. If your fish get stressed or you add a new tank mate that is stressed those are just opportune times for the ich to attack.

I on the other hand wanted the ich gone and decided to be in it for the long haul. I got everything setup and I looked at it as a chance to "re-aquascape" my tank and to do a little maitenance. My fish hid as soon as the net went in the tank as I had figured so I took 5 gallons of water out and pulled all my live rock and coral out so I could net the fish. I was able to net them no problem without having to chase them around at all. I put all my rock back in and set it up how I liked and then more coral after the 5 gallon WC.

In my opinion, I'm not sure what your stocking load is like but I would try your hardest to acquire a tank for treatment. Even if you can just borrow a tank for the time being right now. This would allow you to put your fish in the HT tank and treat them for 4 weeks with cupramine and then another 4 weeks to put a carbon filter in there to take out the cupramine and observe as well as meet the 8 week fallow period timeline. I would hate to have to see you only be able to remove your coral and inverts to a QT tank and then dose your DT and kill all the beneficial bacteria that has already been established.

Oh and here is the link for the cupramine to do a little reading on from the Seachem website.
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Cupramine.html

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Dude.. Try the Dr G medicated caviar. I even gave you the link.

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Yeah thanks. Had already started kick ich. But will try this for sure, in the link now. Spots falling off now so its go time now its going to be in the sand and reproduce.