darn ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by the glass guy, Mar 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Do you plan on cycling the new rock before adding it to your tank? By the way, I have to think that more rock is better. But I'm new at this and that's just my best guess.

2. Click Here!

3. the glass guy

the glass guy Flamingo Tongue

Same here bill . A little under a year. But this is my first big mess up. Lesson learned that's for sure.gotta lock my schedule down more. Got to relaxed with it.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think anyone playing this game for long is gonna have a blemish here and there.

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

didn’t want to start a new thread, feel like I’m doing that too much

Just found ick in my tank. Also found bubble algae. My water levels are good. Just did a water partial water with RO 2 days ago.
    Reading comments I can’t do a fishless system clean for 2 weeks. Have nowhere to put my fish. I’ll pull out rock tonight that has bubble an scrub that rock. Read thats what you do
    What can I do? I feel AWFUL for the fish with it. I do have a UV built into canister. I’m about to upgrade to a 90 g but don’t want to do that with these issues going on
    Im reading this link now.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You must be reading your information incorrectly, or it is written incorrecttly. You would need to run a tank fallow (fishless) for ~12 weeks, not 2. You would need to treat all fish with a proven method (copper, hypo, tank transfer, and most recently chloroquine phosphate) during that time. How bad is the tank infected? One fish with a few spots, or multiple fish covered? Sometimes the best thing for a mild case of Ich is to just maintain high water quality and keep your fish well fed.

Bubble algae is not the end of the world. What you don't want to do is pop them while in the tank. When you upgrade to your 90, an option would be getting a Foxface as they do consume it IME. Not the end of the world either way.

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

only 1 fish with a couple spots on it. Got a little worse over night though. Want to get a handle on this before it gets out of control. But again I have nowhere to put my fish to cycle tank without them. So need to just do the best I can with fish in tank.
    1 of the LFS store said to treat with cooper, lower salinity, and raise temp. I’m at work so haven’t been able to read much on this yet.

Not sure about that. Other one said because I don’t have a QT tank then treatment is only option.

I also think I know what stressed my fish. Had buckets of RO in my basement....tank is in basement...but water cooled down. I mixed it 24 hours prior but think that temp change stressed fish.
    Make sense?

8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Im going to be upgrading to a 90. Will need to get a couple big rubbermaid buckets. Wonder if I could turn one of those into a PT tank. Challenge is I dont have a heater or filter for that. sigh

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'd suggest to slow down a bit. Do some more reading. You then need to sort thru what will work for you. Everyone has there own opinions. I'd start with feeding them well with soaked garlic.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup, slow down. Nothing to panic over yet. Research as much as you can before doing anything.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I agree in that not to panic or attempt to do too many things to address. Can you post a picture of the fish?