cyano overload!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chelseagrin, Mar 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

Hey guys many of you have seen my small nano that i recently set up. things were going great. i have a single perc in the tank and when i ordered a CUC from reefs2go i also received a purple gorg, a green shroom, and an orange ricordea. everything seems to be thriving so far but i have a large issue, i have a total cyano overload in my tank.

i will admit that i thought i would have a bit more time to do maintenance on the tank when i set it up but i have not had much. i feed the fish and i have only done one water change since the tank was set up. but the cyano is all over the live rock and even the sides of the aquarium. even the snails have cyano covering their shells! :confused:

i have never had a cyano issue in any of my tanks and i have no clue as to what to do. i think fllow is alright as i have the pump from the filter in the tank and i also recently added a hang on back skimmer.

any suggestions on how to rid my tank of this crap? i actually had some cool looking decorative algae growing on the rocks but it has since been smothered by this awful cyano :angry:

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I'm no expert, but clean water is the obvious problem. The skimmer well help. Water changes will help. The cyano absorbs phos and nitrates so your water test may look normal but the nutrients are in the cyano. If You can vacuum some of the cyano with water change you should be removing nutrients with it. More flow may help also. It may be a slow process getting rid of it but it can be beat. How much do you feed? How long are your lights on? Cyano requires light so can you reduce lighting?

4. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

What worked for me was 2 10% water changes a week using airline tubing to siphon the cyano off my rock. In between water changes you can siphon into a filter sock and reuse the water that was sucked out. Like said above reduce your lighting time or do a 3 - 4 day blackout.