Cyano In My Reef

Discussion in 'Algae' started by PittsburghReefTank12, Jun 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Hey guys I have a cyano outbreak in my tank. All of my corals are fine except my gorgonian. It is closed and has some cyano on it. Its been this way for 3 days now and im getting worried. My RODI filters need changed, I have purchased new ones and they should come next week. I am positive this is whats causing this problem. My last resort is too add chemicals and If i do could it kill my acros and montis or my softies or lps? Any help is appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I have a theory that weather change has something to do with cyano. Seems that every year the change from winter to summer, I tend to get cyano. Has been this way for the 8 years or so I've been in this hobby. My suggestion is as follows...

Increase flow. Use a turkey baster to blow it off. Siphon it when doing water changes. Increase water changes (smaller, more frequent changes). Feed less. Be patient.

mr_tap_water, cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  4. PittsburghReefTank12

Ok thank you so much I really appreciate the help and I will definitely do what you told me to do. What about the gorgonian? Do I just do the water changes and wait for it to clear up? I have no idea what to do and Im worried about the gorgonian dying

5. civiccars2003

Could you post your water parameters?
    Continue to blow the cyano off the gorgonian. You have have to do this several times per day.

6. PittsburghReefTank12

The gorgonian has spoty algae on it in some places there are yellow spots of algae and on the tips there are streamers of cyano. No part of it is open. My prams are nitrate 0 and phosphate 2ppm. I know that it was that darn RODI filters

7. PittsburghReefTank12

Im worried my gorgonian still isnt opened and now my leater coral and trachy are closed and my acans have a little red on them. Should I add the red slim remover? I dont want to do a water change because the filters in the rodi are bad and new ones arnt coming untill next week! Plz Help!!!

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

We need more info. List the rest of your parameters. What type of lights? How long has it been running? How often do you feed? Is your bio load high? Cyano isn't something that just goes away. You might lose coral to it. It happens.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

if you have tried everything else (and i mean EVERYTHING)look into RedSlimeRemover by Ultralife, follow the dosage indications to the letter! if you read reviews on this product you will see about 40% of the people complaining they have lost all their live stock after using it. I used it (yes guys it wasnt just out of curiosity but desperation) and it worked. like. a. dream! two days and the one rock that was infested by cyano was cleaned and has remained clean since. (I slightly under dosed to be on the safe side)

they suggest to add an air pump, if you have a small skimmer or a small systems or powerheads that dont move the water surface you may want to add one. I simply removed the skimmer cup.....also my skimmer is working normally after the treatment whereas people said theirs went crazy....
    again this should really be used as the ultimate last resort, If you decide to use it I wish you luck as it seems it can be a miracle or catastrophic

11. PittsburghReefTank12

Ok did a 2G water change and the Gorgonian is already looking better! Should I do another 2g today and my weekley 4g change tomorrow?

12. PittsburghReefTank12

And yes I did increase my bio load I got a monti and a acropora and also a Borneo Cardinal Fish. But I did notice some Cyano before I interduced them. I definitely think that them and the RODI caused this. Should I be cleaning the Bio Balls weekley or does this cause more phosphates and nitrates? New RODI filters are coming tomorrow. I think that the Cyano will be gone soon