Custom Glass Lid for tank Question?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CBSurfrider, May 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I've gone back n forth between egg crate and getting some glass cut to fit the top of my tank. I went with glass, but when I sent in my measurements it will completely seal the top of my tank. It occurred to me last night that I need some sort of ventilation in the lid for gas exchange? I ordered (3) pieces to fit in conjunction with my braces which measure 22-1/2"w x 34"L. If I narrow down the width to 22" on each piece will that allow enough ventilation? I don't want to go too narrow and defeat the entire purpose of a lid.. Thanks for any input. I need to call them in a hour when they open to make any adjustments before they start cutting.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm afraid I'm not good with questions like these CBS. I might not go for the glass though - it tends to get a lot of moisture and salt creep on it which can interfere with lighting. I'm sure I missed giving my input before your deadline. I'm thinking as long as you allow for ventilation (the question is how much is enough) glass should be ok. It should also help cut down on evaporation.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've been throwing around an acrylic lid for my cube. I'm still debating the saltcreep issue on my side too. I have about an inch before the top of the tank and it does get some moisture up there... So, I'm sure I'd have to keep it wiped down or something...

what is it with creeps? Salt creep, Tds, both just creeps! hehe

This is what I currently have, clear 1/8" acrylic. The openings are .375 and then there is 1" in between openings and the bracing is 1.5" wide. The idea is to glue some tabs on top of the lid, so it's flush with the top of my glass, not sitting on top. I want to try and keep that rimless look.
    Current concerns:
    Sag in the center
    Salt creep
    Cost
    [​IMG]

However, for framed tanks you could go to the hardware store, pick up some acrylic, cut it to size and drill a bunch of holes in it?

CBSurfrider likes this.
  5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Well... I had to pull the trigger this am, so I called the glass place and they were complete A-holes. It was 8:03am they open at 8am. Before I said a word I asked if they started cutting any of my order yet and they replied the glass isn't even in the cutting are yet. I was like cool, I need to make an adjustment to the width of the glass and the lady got all pissed and put me on hold to talk to someone else. The next guy is even worse, and before he gave me a chance to say I'll still pay the same amount I just want to narrow the cut by 1/2" he was being a complete ass. SO I told him where to shove the extra half inch and hung up on him! I went with black egg crate that my LFS had for me and it came out perfect. I will answer the Elephant in the room question.. Yes it does dim lighting by about 30% IMO looking at my tank now that the egg crate is on there. BlackEggcrateLid.jpg

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

My question is why a lid at all? I have not had a covered tank in 30 years and never had any issues other than one yellow watchman goby that went carpet surfing 15 years ago.
    Egg crate has a direction it should be installed. Note the plastic webs are tapered, thicker on one side than the other to distribute the light more evenly. If I remember right you install it with the thicker side facing up but then I could have that backwards too, its been 13 years since I had some over my previous 90G tank.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I acquired an Eel that is a jumper. I've never had a lid either. I'm going to flip them and see if it brightens back up. I think the thick side is down on these sections.

8. Click Here!

9. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Why not use "bird netting" and screen frame to make your own. This is what I've done over all my tanks. If it ever gets salty(mine rarely does) simple rinse off in the sink.

Bird netting or "berry bush netting" is really cheap, and doesn't reduce PAR as much as glass, and it's thinner than egg-crate too

CBSurfrider likes this.
  10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

BRS screen kit!

I have lost multiple different types fish do to jumping so will never do without. A Clown even!!!

CBSurfrider likes this.
  11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Where were you all almost twelve hours ago?!! This was cheap & simple. Just hope I can figure out the lighting part or start over. The Eel hasn't jumped yet, but I don't want to risk it. I rescued him from a smaller tank and would hate to tell the previous owner he jumped and died..

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I have heard horror stories about eels crawling from tanks..

Best bet IMO just goto Lowes and pick up some screen framing, and the bird screen or the screen posted by chris. It'll cost less than $20, and you can "double cross" the birds netting if you need to. (its in the garden section, sold as protective covering for berry bushes so birds can get to them) and screen framing is in window section!

Good luck, its super easy and fun