Corals touching

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Sataly, Nov 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

I've always made it a habit to space my corals especially my chalice and pectinia but now it's getting to the point to where I don't have much space left to put corals down so I was wondering what corals can touch technically? I do have a few spots but they're pretty high up in the tank and I don't know of many lps that enjoy medium-high flow woth high lights.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I used to be concerned about this but I stopped careing. My coral have gotten so big that they all compete for space. Coral warfare to the max. I just let it happen. Some coral will kill others, so be it. Thats just nature right?

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I Agree to A point. Depends on what coral for me. For instance, If my fire and ice zoas start receding tissue on my nice bansai acro the the fire and ice zoas gotta go!

5. Sataly

So pretty much trial and error but, using common sense. I think I read somewhere at one point the same type of corals can touch like a torch and a frogspawn can touch. not sure if that's true.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Same species (if you can actually confirm they're the same species) can touch, and usually within certain genuses, like hammers and torches. Obviously this doesn't apply to every genus.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've never had a problem with any of my euphyllias touching. My bansai acropora put a hurting on my green Monti cap so I moved it because the recession was doubling over night. Trial and error

8. Click Here!

9. Sataly

What about chalice? a lil bit different then everything but I do have 2 different types kinda close and both send out stingers at night with nkt conflict so far. I guess I'll buy more and see :p

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Chalices will kill other chalices. Mycedium being the most aggressive I've owned. If you have a coral that you really like, keep it in its own space or you will possibly find half of it gone the next morning. Fragging is something I do to keep room in the tank.

11. Sataly

I'll have to check the chalice fragging vids on here then. my pectinias are my pride and joys at the moment

DSC reef likes this.