Coralife Super Skimmer Help / MODs?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by philip_r5, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Hey Bogie. On my Coral Life 125 the effluent both comes out the bottom of the vented diffuser, and spills over the top. I think either way you'd see some spray, as this water is pretty well oxygenated, and when it runs into the tank or sump; some bubbles are gonna break.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Thanks ReefSparky, I can't tell much (visually speaking) if any water is coming out from the bottom. I'm researching some older threads, and so far, I'm thinking of going to the Home Depot after work tomorrow to pick up some 3/4" or 1" PVC (an elbow and straight pipe, plus a fitting to replace the breather nipple) . If I get the pipe down deeper in the tank and cut the slits down lower, hopefully the salt creep won't be so much of problem. Otherwise it's gonna kill my new Current USA Orbit light. And my fish like that light!

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

The reason for that bubble diffuser is to rid you of microbubbles. In a sump, the bubbles don't matter too much. In the aquarium, however it's a different story. Putting that pipe down lower into the tank is going to introduce the microbubbles from the skimmer into the water column. That's not good either. Hopefully you can find some type of compromise.

It might sound like a huge workaround, but have you considered building yourself an inexpensive sump? If you did so, you'd have a place for your skimmer.

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I got the 1" pipe in there now, about 4 or 5" down into the tank and drilled random 3/16" holes all through it. I had to put a filter sleeve (found one at the lfs) over it, secured by a twist-tie, to reduce the bubbling. There is still a big problem with micro bubbles shooting out between the pump housing and pump inlet. I took out the o-ring, lubed it w/ a little vaseline and re-installed it. The leaking micro bubble jet stream is as bad or worse than before. I'll have to call ESU/Coralife tomorrow to have them send me a new pump, o-ring and pump inlet that won't leak.
    I'm really considering a sump, but don't have much room under the aquarium. what is the min size sump i can do for a 55 gal, and how much space would it take up? What would I be looking at cost-wise? thanks.

6. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

Hey i have the 125 model and i was just wondering if anyone could help me out here latly the collection cup has been getting black water adn junk in it.....is that good or bad ?????? and the box in the water oveflows no matter which way i have the adjustment knob turned.....any one have any ideas whats wrong if anythings wrong let me know