Coralife Super Skimmer Help / MODs?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by philip_r5, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Does anyone have any experience with the Coralife Super Skimmer? I am using the 65gallon one with the Needle-Wheel. Also Does anyone know or have you done any mods to yours?

2. Click Here!

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Astrea Snail

there is an 80 page thread on rc about mods. I just bought one but collection cup was busted. One mod I see needed right away is a pvc fitting that would cover the water level adjustor because if it gets pushed up all the way mine would overflow like madd.

4. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I have the 65 gallon model on my 30G cube and it works fine. I don't run it 24/7 because it's in my front room next to the TV and it can be kinda noisy. If I run it during the day while I'm at work i can shut it off at night since it's already stopped skimming after just the day. That's just for me. No mods. Never felt it was necessary. Yeah if I turn that level adjuster all the way up it overflows. But I have it set right and hardly ever need to adjust it. Since it's hanging off the back of my tank I've never accidentally turned that knob. HTH

5. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I made a mod to mine and it was really straightforward. If you look at the collection cup lid there is a small hole with a plastic cross within it, I removed this and attached some airline pipe to the nipple on the inlet pipe and the other end would go through the hole in the collection cup lid. If the cup ever gets too full and reaches the air pipe then the bubbles cut out. Nice and simple and stops any chance of it overflowing. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

What kind of mod are you looking for? I have the 125 model and I know Covey has one that he likes it, other members that may need a PM to ask questions about it. ryugraphix, RiMo, and serotonin.

J

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have seen them on about well over 70 systems in all the sizes and never saw a need to make any mods. If it ain't broke why fix it to break ? never any complaints from some very picky customers in over 2 yrs of selling them either.

8. Click Here!

9. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

I've ask about mods that are mainly to help the system a little more. I have seen a picture of a tube coming out of the cup that runs to a 2l bottle or something to catch extra, I was kinda interested in this as I dont want the cup to over flow all over the place. Then in general anything that will improve it job of pulling out the stuff. Also what is better Wet or Dry skimming? I think Id like the Dry as I wouldnt have to worry about alot of overflow if I do it correct? Idk.... When adjusting the valuve how do i know what im looking for to acheive these certain peramiters? (WET/DRY) Thanks

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

skimmer problems

HI,
    I have been runing one for about a month in the sump, and my only problem is if the water level drops this will effect the amount of foam and the height of the wet foam.
    So if I add water I turn off the skimmer, cause it will blow the cap off the top.
    If you put the really short pump tubing ( they give you two tube one long one short) on the pump to the skimmer it may increase the pressure to above the adjustable valve can handle. Alos if the air trap drops below the skimmer water will siphon out on the floor .
    I shortned mine maybe a 1in or 2 and it made a big difference in the foam height almost to much foam height.
    Doug

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Astrea Snail

I've seen a mod to add a surface skimmer to the pump inlet... this seems like a good mod to do - reversable and would add to skimmers ability to remove nutrients. 1" pipe is an exact fit apparently. Still need to "cat proof" my water level adjustment though!

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If the skimmer is in a sump its a mod for nothing really all the oils and stuff that float to the surface is mixed and aerated in the fall to the sump. Thats why its optimum to turn a tank over 5 x per hr through the pump for a reef. I think mot reefers are just frustrated wanna be plumber and electricians.. As for drain to cup ? if its in the sump why mess with that forget to dump the gallon jug or skimmer goes nuts water everywhere I just had that happen with a ETSS pro single tower at 2,000 GPH pump I was just looking at a way to get it right to a vent stack to drain into a P trap.. If its not broke don't try to fix it. But its your floor and skimmer ..