Coral-vue T-5HO Retros

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Covey, Feb 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I have been thinking of how I am going to review these kits. I now own two of them. I guess that should say something. I got both of the form Captive Reefs. I guess I will brake it down piece by piece.

Quality of Light: The most important IMO. High Output T-5 are the next big thing. There compact and don't run to hot but above all the are bright as all get out. There are energy efficient so you a can keep anything in 4 watts a gallon. I got a half day light and half actinic blend so I like the look I got.
    Grade 10

Price: Between the two kits I spent $400 including bulbs+shipping. Keep in mind I can keep what ever I want now. That is still a couple hundred bucks cheaper than a MH+actinic rig. It is still cheaper than both a Icecap T-5HO rig or the Tek light series. So these kits are an greater value
    Grade 9

Kit Quality: Here is were I had issues even though I new the second time. The kit is COMPLETELY unassembled. You have to attach the endcaps, wire them, then run them to the ballast. The fun part is that there are no instructions!!! Just a 1"x6" sticker on the ballast. Hard to read. I got all the kits together but some one with bad eyes and limited electrical knowledge my have quite the time with one of these kits.
    Grade 2

Coral-vue: Factory direct. Good and bad. Good low price and you get to pick what bulbs you want. Bad there not the fastest with a email response. It took them longer to box and ship my order(1 week) than it did for FED EX to get my package from Louisiana to Illinois (3 days).
    Grade 5

The last two are minor gripes because the value and quality of light can't be overlooked
    Overall 9

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice review Corey.
    Love to see some pics on tank. ;)

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Here one of the lights. It was so brite and the exposer time so short that is made that green effect on the bulbs. Weird.

Attached Files:

5. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

glad they are working well for you. Sorry again about the ship time. I get on Dave at coralvue all the time about shipping things faster.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Thanks Darin. You could tell him to print out even a page of instructions while he is at it. Good lights though.

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I just got a 440 watt VHO light and I love it. Are these T5 things going to be better yet? My corals love my 4 VHO bulbs 2 Super Actinic and 2 Actinic White URI. Are these T5 lights better than VHO? I only paid 270 for my fixture including the bulbs.

Again thanks to Darrin for the bulbs.

Jay

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Are the actinic bulbs "true actinics" (420's) of just blue (450's)?

Thanks

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie