Copperband not acting like itself

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by OnlyTono, Sep 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

WP_20150911_10_24_09_Pro.jpg I’m bummed – went to feed the tank this morning and noticed my Copperband was not acting like his usual self. He was hiding in the back and not being very social. Once he did come out while I was feeding he seems only mildly interested in the food and didn’t eat a single bite. This is unusably because he is generally a bottomless pit.

I also tried a small rock with an aphasia on it from the sump – he has never passed on this sort of treat. Usually he snag the aphasia before I can even get the rock to the sand bed.
    So here’s my question. I don’t want to quarantine him if I don’t have to, since the added stress may just compound the problem. But if I do have to, will a 10gall tank be big enough? He’s a pretty good size – at least 4.5-5 inches long.

Also – what medication should I look to first? As of right now there are no outward signs of any sickness, just a change in behavior.

Just for some background on the fish - I've had him for about 3 years, first in my 50 gallon an now in the 125. He's been in the 125 for about 2 years. Other tank mates include:
    - Yellow eye cole tang
    - 5 blue-green chromis (2 large, and 3 small)
    - Yellow Candied Hog Fish
    - Large Purple Headed wrasse
    - tailspot Bleneey
    - Springeri Damsel
    - a larger tiger pistol and goby pair
    - the usual assortment of hermits and snails, and a emerald crab I almost never see.

Tank parameters can be seen on my AquaticLog profile:
    http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/onlytono/2

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

You have a very nice tank. I wouldnt do anything quite yet. Continue to monitor the fish and water parameters. If things get worse, interviene.

Swisswiss, Mr. Bill and OnlyTono like this.
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

what do you normally feed him?

5. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I'm sad to say he died this morning. Not really sure what the cause was and considering he appeared to be fully healthy as late as Thursday night it is somewhat alarming.

Woke up this morning to him being basically blown around by the pumps, and only swimming sporadically. I pulled him out and placed him in a bucket but he was barely alive. once in the bucket and out of the flow, he relaxed and than just died less than 30 minutes later.

My best guess he was probably at least 5-6 years old (I had him for 3.5), so I don't think old age played a role - especially as quick as this was.

I weighed and measured him – he came in, or should I say, went out at 53gr and was exactly 5in long. That’s almost double the size he was when I got him

I used to feed him a variety foods but mostly PE Mysis and fish frenzy. Occasionally, I would provide clams on the half shell. He was also a veracious aptasia eater. I would actually keep them in my sump on small rocks and provide them once in a while as a treat.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Sorry to hear of your loss

OnlyTono and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Me too.Difficult fish.

OnlyTono likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

man that sucks! sorry for your loss, iv had mine for roughly three years too and i would hate to see him go

10. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

it does suck. the tank now feels like it has a big hole in it.

I was feeding the rest of the fish last night and I realized I'm going to have change the way I feed. The copperband would take care of breaking the big chunks into little chunks for all the smaller fish. Now, they cant get their mouth around the big stuff and it just falls to the bottom.

we're thinking about getting another one at some point, but it'll likely be while.