Contest entry by MikeV15101 "Get the Word Out"

Discussion in 'Get the Word Out 2011 Contest' started by mikev15101, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

This is MikeV15101’s “3Reef.com Get the Word Out” contest entry. This video was shot on Saturday, June 11th, 2011. The majority of the video takes place at my house as well as in Chester, PA at PPL Park/The Wharf at Rivertown. The idea came to me while thinking of a way to “get the word out” to as many people as possible. The Wharf at Rivertown (The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc. - The Wharf At Rivertown) is one of the most historic buildings in our area and is the center piece for the revitalization of the Chester, PA riverfront area. PPL Park is the home of the MLS Philadelphia Union, as well as other high school and college sporting events. The Wharf and PPL Park are situated along the busiest waterway in the area, the Delaware River, and are very close the Commodore Barry Bridge that connects PA to NJ. On this Saturday in June, the Philadelphia Union had a match against Real Salt Lake of the MLS, drawing their largest all-time crowd of 18,728 excited fans. (2011-06-11: Philadelphia Union vs. Real Salt Lake | MLSsoccer.com).

The build process for my contest entry began with a trip to Home Depot for supplies. I picked up four 9x12 foot painter tarps, six cans of spray paint and some twist ties. Once I tied the tarps together, I called up a few of my “artistic” friends (Logan and Zac) to assist with drawing the “3Reef.com” banner. They were more than eager to assist once I advised them I would have cold beverages (Beer) available during our work. As we sat out in the heat and worked on the banner, about 60 people drove by and stopped to ask what it was we were constructing in our front lawn. The spectators were very impressed with the scale in which we were making this banner; everyone wished us the best of luck in the contest, and we finished our work.

Once the banner was complete, my father and I drove down to the Philadelphia Union game to display the banner to the thousands who were partaking in the tailgating events. We went to the North Side of the Wharf at Rivertown (the side facing the Delaware River, PPL Park, and The Commodore Barry Bridge) to display the banner, to ensure maximum exposure. We climbed four stories to the fire tower and slowly lowered the banner, and it was an awesome feeling. My only wish is that we had more people with us to film the lowering of the banner, as we had crowds of people chanting “3Reef.com!” We arrived and lowered the banner around 2:30pm, and the soccer match started at 4:30pm. We left the banner hanging for about 6 hours, to make sure that the crowd saw the banner while both entering and exiting the stadium. This game was also the game of the week on 6ABC, our local ABC affiliate in Philadelphia. Needless to say, 3Reef.com received PLENTY of exposure on that day.

Finally, my Brother-in-Law Nick was kind enough to help me create an outstanding video from the photos and clips that I shot during the game. He used Adobe Premiere on a MacBook Pro I5 to handle the editing for the video. Take into consideration that this was all shot with my iPhone, so I credit him for spinning straw into gold. I wanted to follow ALL of the rules and make sure that NOTHING was copy written. Nick was kind enough to lend me the rights to his music (Tough Guys Take Over) to be sure that I did not use any copy written music or material. It just so happened to work out that it was titled “Sharks” and fit right in with the theme of the site. All in all, an entire weekend was spent creating and promoting this project, and I’m very happy with the results and the exposure for 3Reef.com.

THANK YOU FOR VIEWING MY VIDEO! AS WE ALL KNOW, THE REAL WINNER HERE WAS 3REEF.COM AND OURSELVES, FOR HOPEFULLY BRINGING NEW INTERESTED MINDS TO OUR COMMUNITY. WITHOUT OUR MEMBERS, 3REEF.COM WOULD ONLY BE A WEBSITE; NOT A COMMUNITY!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Way to go all out!!!!!

Great, and loved the music. Looks like fun.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sweet!! And right on game day, sure to get quite a few looks ;)
    Great idea. +K

1 person likes this.
  5. mikev15101

Thank you, I went though about 30 of their tracks and thought that one fit the best. They have great music.

Thanks! I had to get it together quick because it was the only time they played at home before the deadline.

6. mikev15101

Bump for nite time crowd.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Gettin' the word out... Nice work, how long was the banner?

8. Click Here!

9. mikev15101

Thank you! It was 9 feet by 42 feet long. Each letter was a little over 6 foot.

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

thats one big banner. haha great work man.

11. damon

damon Sea Dragon

:wreck::stare::evil3::furious3::rifle::end: ....................... nice job! :clapping::clapping:

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

42 feet :eek: