Comparing Salt Mixes

Discussion in 'Salt' started by mdbostwick, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

When I do use artificial salt, it's always IO; can't say I've ever seen a brown film on anything. It's always mixed crystal clear and left no residue for me.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Me too.I have never heard of io leaving a film before.Hmmmmm.o_O

4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

If I leave my IO mixing in my tub for over 4 days I start to get diatoms in my tub. I don't ever see any brown film in my water otherwise.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I don't know if i am too late on responding to this but I decided to switch to Seachem thinking they make a lot of reliable products but have only been disappointed with it thus far.

I roll the bucket before i measure out my salt and use the same amount of salt and water and always come out with different parameters including salinity, alk, and cal.

The last batch i made for a WC i mixed in 2 separate buckets both 5 gallons, not only did i get different levels but i also got one cloudy batch and one clear batch.

I will more than likely be going back to Red Sea Coral Pro after this inconsistent bucket of trouble is gone.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'm not so sure I'd even use it. What's disturbing to me is that when what we can test is inconsistent, you never know what other components may be off or exactly by how much. There are over 60 ions that make up the "salt" in seawater; a hydrometer or refractometer only reflects the total combined amount.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with Mr bill. I'd be very weary of using that batch. I've gotten in the habit of testing every new batch of saltwater I make since I've had inconsistencies with batches from different companies. So far the last 300 gallons total I've made over time have been spot on with coral pro.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Yeah Seachem is O U T!

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Mixed a new batch of the Seachem salt last night for a WC today. Looked fine last night, but went past cloudy today and looks like I added milk to it. There was a thread asking what best and worst purchases people have made, this salt mix is definitely in there.

Mr. Bill and CBSurfrider like this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Seachems aquavitro salinity is not to be confused with there basic salt. I've heard nothing but great things about it

Mr. Bill likes this.
  12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I'm headed in there now to see what Seachem they have. Or order some IO.