Comparing Salt Mixes

Discussion in 'Salt' started by mdbostwick, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I like Red Sea Pro coral and Reef Crystals.
    I think the Red sea tested about 12 alk last time I tested a batch.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Red sea is a naturally harvested salt and has consistency problems in my experience with it.(low calcium level 310) If consistency is your goal you can hardly do better then IO or RC in that price range imo.
    ;)

Av8Bluewater and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Not really, if you keep everything in perspective. First, no one mix is that much different from the rest (or NSW, for that matter) or it couldn't sustain marine life. Moreover, with normal routine water changes, the variance would be quite small. IOW, if you are changing 10% of your tank volume, you are only changing 10% of the difference between the two mixes, so if both can sustain life, the change will hardly be detectable. Certainly won't cause a tank-crashing imbalance. :)

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

I've read from several sources that some components don't remix well once dehydrated. :oops::(

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

One thing I do like about RC is the bags make it a lot easier for my 45 gallon trash can. One bag means no measuring for me.

Red sea is suppose to measure at these params:
    Main parameters at a salinity of 33.0 ppt are: KH - 11.8-12.2 °dKH, Ca - 430 - 450 mg/l, Mg 1280 - 1340 mg/l.
    That's about what I've got a couple times. I don't test new salt much.
    Hopefully others will post what they got from various salts so we can see some patterns.
    One thing I would like to see is Potassium/Iodide/Iodine/Iron levels.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

I also use different types of salt, whatever is on sale. But I have given up on IO , both regular and reef crystals. The alk reads crazy-high and the brown sludge is not acceptable to me. Especially since IO denies that in spite of so many claims that differ. Using kent reef salt ATM and am pretty happy. I'm not a doser, even though (eek!) I only do monthly changes.
    I tried NSW from the live-tank tap at the dock (I live in a rural fishing village) but the sg was low (had to add salt mix anyway) and I was really concerned about the purity. Wish I wasn't so paranoid because it is free!
    One salt I don't use anymore is Red Sea pro. Crazy high in calcium and it has to be mixed in cold water and used within a few hours (as per their instructions) or all the calcium precipitates out and gives you cloudy water.
    Everyone has a favorite mix. Very difficult to pinpoint the best. One persons awesome is another persons unacceptable.

A salt I'd like to get my hands on again is seachem aquavitro salinity. It lists the parameters of each batch on a sticker on the bucket. Sadly it only sells at retail, and I rely on amazon for everything from salt to coffee.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Brown sludge??Are you mixing it with treated tap/well water or rodi??

Mr. Bill and Av8Bluewater like this.
  10. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

RODI totally. It's the clay additive they use to keep it from clumping. Not really a sludge, more of a brown film.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Red sea pro coral does mix cloudy if you mix it fast. That's a common complaint. The way I mix it now it mixes clear. I get a powerhead going in my trash can. Then sprinkle the salt in slow enough so it doesn't precipitate. If you put it in too fast it clouds.

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm liking my coral pro. Mixes clear everytime. I use a powerhead in a bucket and within about 30 minutes it's clear. I use it the next day with no issues. I always keep a bucket of salt water on hand and even after 4 days I haven't had any cloudiness. My LFS had a sale of coral pro 200 gallon commercial bags for 49.99 so I stocked up ;)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.