Common to have sponges in skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Ballgame, May 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Routine skimmer cleaning and found my skimmer is loaded with small sponges. I've been noticing them on rocks and just assumed it's natural.
    So is this good, bad, or in different? And how to clean them off? My hands are way too big to reach in. Rinsed with super hot water and will let dry.
    Just haven't seen any threads about this.
    Thanks everyone. I love learning new stuff. Some might find this question annoying. But for me it's one more learning block.

Thanks!!

BG

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Search pineapple sponges, think they might be what you have

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yeah i have them in my skimmer and BP Reactor. When I ran carbon and GFO they were in there as well.

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Ok to leave in? No idea how to clean inside of skimmer besides rinsing out with hot water.

6. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

I would think it would be ok being their filter feeders and filter anything else thst isn't caught. Although they do look a lil unsightly.

7. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

And to clean I would use a new dish scrubber with a long handle.

8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Being relatively new it's hard for me to ID things. Once I ID I can then research.
    These from not using RO water. Except I do. Interesting. But think you're right. Filter feeder so should be ok. Just will have to maintain tank. I try not to have hands in tank if possible.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 on pineapple sponges. Not anything to worry about, good filter feeders. In skimmer is fine. If you are getting excessive amounts in your rock work, good chance you are over feeding and have high nutrients in your tank. That is why they are in the skimmer so much...........just think of the of all the crap (literally) that they are eating in there. Though they can get unsightly and excessive in your rocks and tanks.