Clownfish Pairing Question

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JJL, May 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I currently have a large, adult (Around 3in) black and white ocellaris clownfish. The clown has been in the tank for around 2 weeks and it has been doing very well. I want to get another clownfish so they can pair. 3 questions.
    1. Can I do this?
    2. What size should the second clown be?
    3. Can I do this with an orange and white clown so it can be black and white with orange and white?
    Thanks!
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

1. Yes but there is no guarantee that they will pair.
    2. Should be smaller.
    3. Shouldn't be a problem

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok sounds good. If they do not pair could there be a lot of aggression between them? Or just a little back and forth?
    Thanks
    -JJL

5. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

1. Can I do this? Yes, I did it with my clown
    2. What size should the second clown be? A small clown has more chance of still being a juvenile and has not determined their sex as of yet.
    3. Can I do this with an orange and white clown so it can be black and white with orange and white? I believe you can, but I think if they are too different there is less of a chance of them pairing and matting. My two do not fight, but I don't think they are paired and as far as I know they have not mated, I have not seen any eggs.

1 person likes this.
  6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Yes there will be a little back and forth as the larger will establish dominance, but they can get along even if the don't become a mated pair.

1 person likes this.
  7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ok thanks to both of you!
    Much appreciated.
    K+