cleaner shrimp in refu/sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Swisswiss, Oct 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hello there community,

so I have this book i occasionally skim through and it mentioned something about keeping shrimps in your refugium. supposedly these spawn eggs on a regular basis and in turn add to the natural plankton present in our system.

this sounds very appealing to me as im all about diversity. however my sump is set up in the classic drain/refu/return form. where the algae and the refu are in one chamber. im concerned the cleaner shrimps would decimate my worm populations....

are there other more adept shrimps i can put in there that would regularly spawn (perhaps peppermints)? I can't put them in my DT because my toby would shred them....

the refu is about 100 L.

as always thx for the help

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Coral banded shrimp are known to attack bristle worms, and should any peppermint fry survive, you may find yourself in need of removing a coral-killer from your DT. Skunk cleaners, OTOH, are fairly docile; I've never known one to attack anything live. They do love fish food though, especially frozen. :)

Swisswiss likes this.
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

well im relying on my toby to take care of any "survivors". i thought about coral banded but i would rather have bristle worms in my refugium and i thought cleaners hit on worms too

5. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

Interesting. Would like to see more input on this.

6. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

I have a few crabs and shrimps in the fuge. They help pick up the flown down food and keep the bubble algae in checked. The shrimps cleaned up the aiptasias I have to feed them as nothing much go down for them to eat. Not sure they still take care of Aiptasias if there are new ones...

7. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

I'm looking on setting up a fuge myself and looking for things to add, interested on what's to be said

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as there is enough room I don't see a problem.Skunks and red booted shrimp get fairly large so if space is an issue peppermints or camels would be better.