cheap bulb - impressed

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by DSC reef, Mar 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My favorite bulb is the radium 20k. I just didn't feel it was necessary to spend that kind of money on a tank with little coral so I only run radium on my reef tank. I like 20k because I like color in the tanks. I suffered through 12k bulbs for 4 months and that was enough for me, a yellow drab tank just isn't appealing to me. As far as the cheap bulbs go there doing great. I have some montipora, chalice and spongodes under them and there growing like crazy. I will say that the cheap bulbs in 20k are more purple than a blue appearance. Even though there doing good I still couldn't risk putting them on the reef tank.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Just an update for the cheap halide bulbs on the 125. 4 months since I put them in and to put it bluntly, they suck! Never again will I do this. The spectrum has turned to an off pinkish purple and brown algae blooms like crazy. I tried to go the cheap route since it wasn't my reef tank and I'm glad I gave it a try to see the difference. I put my year old radiums in 2 of the 3 reflectors and after about two days there's no brown algae under the radiums but still algae growing under the cheap 20k bulb. I ended up pulling the cheap bulb out and the 2 radiums are plenty of light for now. I hope this thread has been informative. I will only buy quality bulbs from now on.