candy cane issues

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Tristan's Nano, Sep 20, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tristan's Nano

Tristan's Nano Plankton

I searched all over and can not find answer on this issue, maybe someone here can help. I've attached photo of my candy cane, it is always in feed mode. It has been like this since I first put it in my tank a few months ago. When I purchased it from fish store it was puffy like all pictures I have seen of candy cane or trumpets. It has not grown at all and only retracts tenticles when I spot feed or disturb it by touching it but within 15 min tenticles are back out. I don't believe it's is an issue with water chemistry, my parameters are:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Temp 78.6
    Calcium 440
    Alkalinity 11
    Magnesium 1320
    Any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 20150920_201216.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A month is not really enough time to see growth, the coral probably spent half that time acclimating. Are you turning off the pumps to feed the corals? Are you feeding a meaty sea food like mysis, or even a decent pellet food.

4. Tristan's Nano

Tristan's Nano Plankton

Yes I turn pumps off when I feed I have a WaveMaker that I set to feeding while feeding and for about 10 min after all corals have gotten their share. I spot feed every head of all my corals every other day and I change from frozen mysis to cyclops each feeding. I don't remember the brand of them but they are little frozen cubes that I thaw out in about a cup of tank water before feeding and always make sure each head gets its share and make sure clowns are not stealing like they try to do on occasion. When I feed cyclops it makes quite a mess in my tank for few min but that keeps clowns occupied while corals eat

5. Tristan's Nano

Tristan's Nano Plankton

I forgot to list my salinity, it's at 1.025 using a hydrometer

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not see an issue, the corals looks fine, your chemistry is fine. Some of my corals have tentacles out all the time. If the coral coloration begins to fade or you see tissue recession or loss then be concerned.

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  7. Tristan's Nano

Tristan's Nano Plankton

Ok thank you. It has always been a whitish color so how can I tell if it is fading or bleaching. I have not seen any tissue recession on it but will continue to keep an eye on it

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Feeding that often may result in water quality issues. Once or twice a week is more then enough for spot feeding.☺

DSC reef and Corailline like this.