Bulkhead Installation Tips

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by AZDesertRat, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The tape or thread sealant are ONLY used on internal threaded bulkheads or TxT not slip x slip or slip x barbed which your appears to be. The only threads you have are on the lock or jamb nut which do not require any sealants other than the gasket.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. When using threaded bulkheads, again clean the excess flashing from the threads and valleys and use a small amount of teflon tape or better yet the stick or crayon type of thread lubricant designed specifically for PVC treads. These can be found at Lowes, HD, Ace and all hardware stores under names like Laco, Permatex and others.

Maybe you could edit this particular part to avoid any further confusion.TIA;)

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I would think if someone read the entire post, item 1 is pretty specific but I edited item 4 anyway for those who take things out of context. Again item 4 applies only to threaded bulkheads and the external threads on a bulkhead do not mean it is threaded. The threads on the nut and outside are not tapered pipe threads and do not seal anything, its the gasket that forms the seal so teflons and sealants serve no purpose.

1 person likes this.
  5. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I actually did read the entire post. Additionally, I read the same post on other forums and read the comments and questions thoroughly. However, before yesterday, I had never even touched a bulkhead, so the terminology is quite new to me. Hopefully my "newness" to the subject will help others that are also new to it. However, this was a great writeup overall. Thanks A.J.

#1 says not to use teflon or thread "lubricants," not tape. It implies that this is a problem specific to the gasket, not the nut. Before #4 said internal, I thought my bulkhead was threaded.

I understand that the gasket is what creates the seal, not tape, but it seems reasonable that applying tape onto the external thread could potentially provide extra protection from a leak underneath the gasket, by stopping or slowing the leak. Additionally, I couldn't imagine it doing any harm. To confirm this was safe and correct, I posted a picture of my bulkhead and asked why this was recommended. Thank you everyone for the clarification.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The threads on the outer barrel and nut do no sealing whatsoever. They have no taper like pipe threads which is where sealing takes place on a threaded bulkhead, the tighter you screw it down, the better the seal, within reason. The reason for teflon tape, paste, dope or stick sealants it to seal the voids between the male and female threads and make it easier to turn for a better seal. Straight cut threads will bottom out before sealing, they are often called butt threads in the pipe industry and do not seal in the same way. The sealing is the flange and the nut seated against the glass and the gasket and teflon does nothing, in fact it can worsen things because of its slick properties, the nut can back off easier and create leaks where you don't want them.

Glad I can help just as others have done for me in the past! Pay it forward.

7. fisherina

fisherina Plankton

Hi All, new to the hobby and had a question regarding the bulkhead that came with my setup. I've included a picture of it below. There's the black connection between the PVC and the bulkhead since the PVC is too large for the bulkhead. Am I supposed to glue these pieces together to the bulkhead or just slip them in as tightly as possible with no glue?
    bulkhead1.JPG bulkhead2.JPG