Bryopsis or nah?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Redd, Feb 13, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

I am in the middle of the cycle for my very first sw tank. And I just noticed this algae sprouting on live rock and on some dry rock. Is this run of the mill green algae because of the cycle or something more sinister?
    Params:
    Mg- ?
    Alk -?
    Sal- 1.026
    NH3- 0.75 NO2 - 4ppm NO3 - ~30ppm

I was running lights for a while during the beginning of the cycle. For 5 days there has been no more than 3hrs of light per day. I will be killing all light until the right time comes..

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Agreed Bryopsis.

Get some Kent Tech M Magnesium and slowly raise your Mg level above 1500 until it dies off, then lower it back down with water changes until it is back at your desired level, once your cycle is over.

scajeo likes this.
  5. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Here's what I've decided to do. Removed the the 4.5 lb of rock, replaced it with about 3.5 lb of dry uncured. Hopefully I don't stall the cycle, cause it was live rock. I plan on treating it separately in a bucket. Any thoughts?

6. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

that new rock you add will create a new cycle or prolong this one. MD's advice is solid, if you haven't changed out the rock follow his advice.

7. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll do just that. So i guess im looking at May until my tank gets stocked, ugh.....

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

removing the rock is a bad idea IMO...

Redd likes this.