Brown Algae on Sandbed

Discussion in 'Algae' started by PittsburghReefTank12, May 26, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

image.jpeg My Nitrates are at 0 to 0.5 ppm mark and I still have this brown algae on my sandbed. Ive heard pf someone having the same problem and it was there carbon bag that was never changed. Ive never changed my carbon

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it probably could help to change your carbon but it looks like possibly diatoms and cyano

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It's pretty common, look into nassarius snails or fighting coach's that help turn your sand bed. Ofcourse you have to make sure they get enough to eat but they have worked great for me. I run GFO and I never read any nitrates but I would get that brown on the sand bed. You can also siphon the sand bed during a water change but I prefer the snails.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  5. mr_tap_water

mr_tap_water Astrea Snail

Have you tested your Phos as it is possible you may have a high reading which can cause this, also sometimes by changing the length of time your light are on or a different strength can sometimes make it go away. These are just a couple of simple things worth trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. PittsburghReefTank12

Ok thanks so much for the help. I thinl that my problem is that i need more nassirus snails

7. mr_tap_water

mr_tap_water Astrea Snail

How about some sand shifting starfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'd stay away from starfish, they'll just starve slowly in your tank. Snails are a better choice IMO. I have zero phosphate and nitrate since I've been running biopellets and GFO for years. I still get brown algae from time to time. How long is your photo period and what type of light/spectrum are they? Old T5 bulbs can cause this as well.

Swisswiss and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  10. PittsburghReefTank12

I have a Kessil a150w led and I used to have Flouresent bulbs and would still have this brown algae. I might look into the seastar. What kind of care do they need? And will my lantern Basslet bother him?

11. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

DSC reef likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I would stay clear of a sand sifting starfish. It will starve very slowly and bury itself in your sanded to decay and cause further issues within your tank. Snails, good maintenance habits and patience will take care of your problem. Most reef tanks that you see that are spotless have been thoroughly cleaned before the photo shoot, brown on the sand is going to happen. They mainly feed on the fauna in your sand bed that your tank actually needs as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2016