break in

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by helwidcha, Mar 16, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

so my skimmer was foaming good this morning. AND I had to move things..ocd! lol now no foam ..any suggestions? skimmers been running two days now :(

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Which skimmer? How much water do you have it in? Can you adjust it? How new is the tank (i.e. is there anything to skim)?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

After you stick your hands in the tank or sump, the oils off your skin can make the skimmer stop producing for awhile.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

+1 anytime my hands touch the water my skimmer stops producing for a few hours. Leave the adjustment where you like it and it will skim normal in time. Feeding my DT also causes this. Your skimmer is gonna pull things out at different rates so just because its skimming like crazy then its not the next day doesnt mean its not working.

6. helwidcha

okay that makes since. I played in the tank all day yesterday and while I was sleeping it was foaming again lol so I wanted it to make more pushed the cup down some and it stopped foaming lol guess ill just leave things alone in the tank for awhile thanks.

7. Singlefin

Singlefin Astrea Snail

Once the water height is set properly. Leave it alone. The foam will come and go depending on your water quality. You'll get a headache If you keep messing with it. A lot of things can kill your foam head. Your Oils are a big one.

8. Click Here!

9. helwidcha

so I have been leaving it alone and yall was right... its working fine..such a sensitive little thing lol