Brand of salt?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Kanook, Oct 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have used 7 different salts in the last couple of years, and the one I use right now and have been liking for the last while is the D-D h2ocean. For me it tests out to what I want to see in a salt being put into my tank, but as was mentioned before, each person will have specific needs. Even half a year ago I probably would have been happy with another salt (and I was happy with Reefers best for a while), but with the addition of a bunch of SPS colonies as well as over a dozen sps frags my needs changed and the D-D h2ocean now satisfies my tank needs. So I the end you need to pick a salt that works for what you have in your tank, would I use D-D h20cean in a Fowlr tank, i don't think so, at that point I would probably go back to IO because it would satisfy my needs for a fowlr.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Eh, I've been gone awhile but no need to call me a fag!!8)

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Its hard to recommend a salt thats MSRP is $84.95 for a 160 gal bucket!!;)

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Again Gazog!!
    IO sponsors most of those aquaria, you actually think the Georgia aquarium NEEDS to buy salt?!!?!? No way, they get it free or darn near, its the perfect advertising for IO and those aquariums get to save $$ not buying salt. IO and RC have had NOTHING but problems for the last, 2-3 years if not more....

Happy reefing, Gazog, no hard feelings!!

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Omg.. wow sorry Frag.. I missed that typo.. and so did the mods.. or maybe they left it..lol. No hard feelings my friend!

7. Dr.Fragenstein

I know it wasn't intentional!! OR WAS IT!!??!;D

Happy mistyping!

8. Click Here!

9. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

Instant ocean works wonders. It dissolves fast and is inexpensive. But it is a little low in calcium but my aragnite takes care of it and same with some calcium additives. It is a good salt for the money. I get a 55 gallon bag for 10 dollars

10. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

what gets me is why do these salts contain things we absolutly don't want in our tanks? silica, phosphate doesn't anybody find this puzzling? I mean how can you combat phosphate a silica issues when its in the very salt we use?

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I use reef crystals even though its a pain to mix compared to anything else ive used. Just mixed 35 gallos for a big ol water change and 35 for the Red Sea To first time fill.

12. Matrix2009

Matrix2009 Plankton

I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. Mixes extremely well, and the parameters are right within normative ranges.