Bowfront or standard tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dhall78, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

Thanks for the post...do you have a picture of your tank since it's the same size I'm looking at? Also I don't plan on getting the hood since it will be too bulky where I plan on placing it.

2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I think Dhall has made up hid mind but for those of you who are saying the true bow sucks and distorts your view, I just dont get it. Im looking at both of mine and I think it looks great. I guess I dont understand distortion.

For Dhall.

This is a 155 bow established reef.

[​IMG]

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Try and take a close up of something in your tank or look at something a little bit further away and you will see what we mean, you cannot get a real view, its distorted in some why or another.

If you looking at something toward the front in the center through the front it is naturally magnified due to the bend in the glass.

I loved the 72 gallon bow front I had and really didn't have any problems with the view but even I have have to admit that there is some distortion.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

If you click the link in my sig it will take you to my 72 bow video(even tho its a crummy vid you get the point)

6. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

I see what you mean somewhat, but man you have a beautiful tank!! I went to my LFS and they have a 175 bow and it looks great also. I guess overall its just the way you design your tank for either styles?

7. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

Your making it very difficult for me not to sway towards the bow...lol. Very beautiful tank!! Maybe it's me, but when I looked at the 175 bow at my LFS I really didn't see or could tell all of the distortion that's been mentioned. Maybe b/c I only looked at it for about 10 minutes...more about 45 minutes but who's counting?

I know I will be paying more money upfront but I think in the long run having the bow would make the difference. Last question, and this is from what I've heard, but a 6 ft tank is a 6 ft tank, so the fish like a tang for example should still have ample amount of room to swim no matter if it's a bow or standard right? I'm not going to have as much live rock since I want some open area on the sand bed so that should also help.

Once again thank each of you for your help and knowledge!!

8. Click Here!

9. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I think he was saying he likes his bowfront. and nice video and reef btw. to me they enhance the view.

We must have diffrent tanks. Are you sure yours wasnt acryilic? I tried what you said and there is ZERO distortion. my bow only has a slight arc, not enough to distort the view. Just make the tank look larger.

My LFS has a half circle bow and that is distorted because its such a tremendous arc and you have to move from left to right to view the tank in parts.I will try to get a couple recent tank shot of both my tanks.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

The distortion doesn't happen until you try to look at something close up, you won't notice it generally looking at the tank.

11. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

Just wanted to let you know that I've ordered my 155 BOW!! :) It should all be here in the next week or two, but I'll keep you posted. Since you have a bow I wanted to get your thoughts of my new setup across you. I'm going to have a Berlin Turbo skimmer, an Aqueon Proflex 4 sump/refugium, a couple Koralia 4's, phosphate reactor and a Aqua UV sterilizer.

Also I believe you have a refugium in which I want to have one as well but my LFS is suggesting I don't. I told them about how I wanted it to help keep my levels down etc which they obviously know but said due to the size of my tank it's not going to make a difference. They suggested I just place live rock in the sump, plus because it's less maintenance. So since you are a fellow "Bower" I would like to get your thoughts if you don't mind.

Thanks

D

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Isn't that what you're doing? ;)

I have both and like both.