Bowfront or standard tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dhall78, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

get a CUBE!!!! No distortion and the depth is uber cool :)

2. Click Here!

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

+1. Cubes are cool too. 3 sided viewing. ..Only down side is you have to have room for the extra space width wise front to back they take up.

4. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

Thanks for the info...it's definitely a lot to take in. The way I view my tank now (by my bar) is straight on, but either way I'm going to have a side view once I decide on the tank. Granted the 155 is what I want, I thought about the 72 bow but didn't want to go down in size. As far as building a stand...no I'm not that handy but I will see if I can find someone who knows how to build one STRONG ENOUGH or just buy the stand that goes with it.

Couldn't tell, but did it seem as though you thought the price for the bow front was too expensive? Big difference between the two, it will just take me a little longer to get everything I want. Have to get a good light and a better sump...

5. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

I vote for bow! I've had my 46 for 11 years now and have never once thought, "man this is giving me a headache!" Nor has anyone ever once said that either. I can stare at my tank for hours.

--up close, far away and from whatever angle I want.

I was eyeballin a setup at my LFS the other day. A brand new reef ready 172 bow, hood and stand for $1399. WOW.

I love having the bow.. it has more personality than a flat tank. If I ever had a tank mounted in the wall it would definitely be flat though.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

+1

and the bowfront isn't as easily scrapped with a razor blade.

7. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

Rotate the blade 90* and run it side to side. Problem solved

8. Click Here!

9. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I got my bow cuz a friend was getting out of the hobby. I so love the look and so does everybody else! I wouldn't change a thing.

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

lol. +1. b4 I got mine people told me you couldnt use a mag cleaner front on it and I found out that was false. and as boosted stated a razor side to side cleans easy as pie.

I do think they are a little pricey compared to standard tanks the same size.
    I dont understand why the price jumps from $150 for the 46 to $300 for the 72 but then goes to $1000 for the 155. but even at this price I was still tempted. Im looking for a used on on craigslist.

as I stated b4 most people with the "true" bows love them. People are calling tanks bows that are not. Half circles are not bows! neither are corner tanks which is basically a quarter circle. There are also the acrylic bows. the true bows have a very minimal arc and DO NOT distort your view.

11. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Are you kiddin me dude? your tank looks awesome.

[​IMG]

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I'm not that stupid, there is a reason I don't do it that way.

Its more arkward and I find I'm more likely to miss patches, like I said isn't as easily scrapped.

I'm all about minimum work maximum results.

I did have a "real" bowfront, and it does suck when you are trying to look closely at stuff or taking close up shots.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011