Bowfront or standard tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dhall78, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dhall78

dhall78 Plankton

I currently have a 75 g saltwater tank and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger size tank of either a 6 ft 125 g or 150 g. My dilemma is should I get a bowfront or standard size tank? I like the look of the bowfront however many people I've spoken to said bowfronts are not as popular or common anymore in the house and that it's better to have a standard tank due to distortion and how its overall better for the fish to swim in?:confused:

Here is the problem...I found a deal where I can get a a new (price dropped due to a couple of scratches on the trim) reef ready 150 g standard tank w/ stand, light and a few extra goodies for $1,000. And I priced a new reef ready 150g bowfront for $1,600...$950 for the tank and $650 for the stand and that's all. With the money I save by getting the standard tank, I can use it toward purchasing other equipment instead but I wont get the tank that I wanted.

Price is a factor but I could save a few extra pennies to get the bowfront, however does it really make a difference of which one I get? What type of tank do a majority of you all have? My current tank is a standard tank and I love it, but it's time for an upgrade. I just didn't know if there was a big difference, pros/cons between the two.

I've had my tank for about 3 years and with all there is to learn I still consider myself a rookie, so thanks for all of your help and advice!!

D

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I would go with a standard. I have a bowfront, and it was because of the amazing price. I couldnt resist. But I don't like the distortion, it seriously could give you a headache. It is very "show" looking which is cool, but if i had a to do it again i would have waited and gotten a standard.

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

i have a bowfront, it sucks.

u can do more with a rectangle.

5. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a bowfront & love it. Like the extra room allowing for different aquascaping possibilities.

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I also have a bow and love it...

7. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

Two 46 gal Bowfront Tanks (both FW DTs) on either side of my entertainment unit in the living room.. Love em..

Now if they weren't going to be in a display area such as the living room I woulda saved the few bucks and went standard tanks..

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a bowfront that I am just starting. I love the way it looks. I went with it diagonal in a corner over a corner tank based on price. So far I don't regret it.

However, there is some distortion, but so far I haven't noticed it enough to be a big issue.

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Price aside, I can pretty much garuntee you will like the bowfront over the standard tank.I just upgraded my 46 to a 72 bowfront because everybody including myself loves it. People that have rectangular tanks will always tell you to go standard because thats what they have but the fact is even my sister who has a standard wants to change into this unit It just makes the reef stand out more. Not to knock anyones tank but once you have a bowfront a standard tank will look plain to you forever after,

Now this is important. If you notice some people will tell you a bowfront distorts the view while others (inlcuding myself) say it does not. This is because not all these bowfronts are the same tanks. some are not even bowfronts at all but half circles. Have circles which i believe are acrilic do indeed distort the view. and there are other acrilic bowfronts that distort the view. If you notice the person above that doesnt like his has a 90 gallon. I can tell you first hand this is not the same brand tank you are reffering to. There are only 3 Bowfront tanks above 40 gallons that are aqueon (all glass brand) that are made. the 46, the 72 and the 155. if it is not one of those 3 sizes than it is not the correct bowfront. aqueon does make a few other bowfronts but there under 40 gallons and I believe are not made of glass.

now I know somone will jump on here and say theyve had both and they still like the standard but I can tell you if you have the money for the 155 bow, you will love it.

11. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ive had both and I didnt like my bowfront. they are really nice if you dont sit infront of your tank and look at everything, but I am always sitting in front of mine looking at everything up close so the bowfront gave me head aches.

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

+1. The way you can position your rockwork vertically across and then still have plenty of room in the middle front for extras;I.e. clams,tube worms corals, etc.

I will say this though. The cost is a little ridicolous. I thought the 46 and the 72's where over priced. The 155 is even worse. Cost is more than 3x from 72 to the 155. and the stands are out of control as well.

I would suggest if you do get the bow, you might want to try a diy stand. If your not a wood guy, you might be able to get somone to build it for you. Im sure for cheaper than $700+. The stand is what made me get the 72 when i wanted the 155. Still havnt got a stand, i my self am trying a diy.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011