Bio Pellet reactor

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by onecansay, Apr 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello all. A question.

One realizes that a Bio-pellet reactor ideally should be exited at the inlet of a Protein Skimmer.

The question is where is the ideal location to put the Bio-pellet reactor inlet hose. Would it be the first chamber of the sump or the last chamber of the sump?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Ideally would be the 1st chamber of the sump where the drain is. Which would ideally be the chamber that does not have the skimmer.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

5. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I'm working on adding a Bio Pellet reactor to my system as well. Right now my only real option is to have the feed pump in the same chamber as the skimmer. The reactor's return line will them empty into a t-fitting that will be attached to the inlet of the skimmer.

Can you expand on your answer a bit? why is it ideal to have the inlet before the skimmer? Does the skimmer potential remove something that the reactor needs?

thanks in advance...

6. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

The skimmer helps remove the nutrient rich biofilm that will come out of the reactor.
    If your not removing it with the skimmer, you're likely to get algae in the tank, especially in the beginning.

Having all that happening in the same chamber is counter productive...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. onecansay

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm sure this is all great advice.

For me- only me now- what a narcissist I am,

It reminds of an analogy in the first Star Wars movie, when Hans was checking out Lukes Light saber. He said something like- when the going gets rough, there's nothing like having a blaster at your side.

For me, I seem to avoid things like bio pellets, GFO, etc. by having a large/massive chaeto bed all my water goes thru every sump pass. MY sump is linear flow- as opposed to two intake chambers to a more central RP chamber.

With that said, I also know there are dozens of ways to skin a cat, and I return you back to your chosen channel ;-)

10. onecansay

Thanks for the reply but from it one summarizes that you must have ample space for this fuge. Kudos on you man as most of us would love to have this option and keep it natural. Unfortunately small fuge areas are pretty much useless so as technology grows it gives us other guys the opportunity to achieve our goals.

Remember, without electricity you would not have the wonderful world of reef in your humble establishment.

There is always living on an island with a reef, snorkel and fins.:wave:

Thanks once again for the input.