Big fumble nearly cost me

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh my. This one made me real red. :angry:

A little over a week ago I was doing some last minute things before we left town for the weekend. This included topping off the ATO and changing my halide bulb. It was late, I was rushing etc.

Flash forward to yesterday - my first day at home in a while. And guess what? The halide wasn't on. I asked my family how long it's been like that - they said "I don't know." The blood rushed to my head. A few days before I noted that some of my corals were losing color and a small deep blue acro frag was receding. I was scratching my head because my alk, calcium and mag were spot on. Now it all makes sense. I am an idiot. When I come home from work, it is actinic time. I had no clue.

When I dug into the fixture, I quickly saw that one end of the halide bulb was not seated in the socket correctly. It was at an angle. I fixed that issue then unplugged my ballast and plugged it back in after about 30 seconds. The bulb didn't fire. I thought this may have something to do with my Reef Angel controller, so I left it.

Today, it fired up. I raised the light a couple inches as the sun has been low for over a week. Amazingly my acros have their polyps out - esp my monty cap that I thought looked pretty bad a few days ago. I may be able to save the blue acro if I frag it today.

How embarrassing. When I screw up, I screw up big. :rolleyes2:

I think my Reef Angel may have noted the light not firing, I am going to spend some quality time with the controller, it has been neglected - and update the software, then begin to see if I can program it to send a text message when there is an issue like this.

Yikes. This could have been much worse.

matt

Mr. Bill likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Glad you found the problem Matt

Matt Rogers likes this.
  4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Good catch Matt. Sounds like an easy thing to miss.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Congrats on the save, Matt; as you said, it could've been much worse.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

so your halide wasnt working for several day? just the actinics?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yep. Just smarts that I didn't catch before. No lights in the AM and actinics when I get home from work is the norm. Arrggghh going forward I will be double checking my bulb change work ESP before leaving town

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Clearly you work too much. Fewer hours; just one more sacrifice any reasonable person would make for their corals.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You could adjust the photoperiod so you can enjoy viewing your tank for a few hours after work. :)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah that is not a bad idea my friend. :)

lol you are right about that. :D

Currently playing around with my reef angel controller to see if I can program an alert about lights not going on. Not sure if it's possible yet.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  12. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I don't have a reef angel, but if it works anything like an Apex, then maybe some programing that checks the status of the lights? But, if the lights are "on" but the bulbs aren't lit, that probably wouldn't work. The only other thing I can think of is a light detector setup as a switch. then check the status of the switch, or check against some other parameter that are affected my the lights - such as amp draw?