Best Skimmer at any Price

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Servillius, Dec 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

That's not what my post said at all. The absolute worst thing you can do with that article is condense it down to a one sentence statement. It is simply false, and there is a heck of a lot more to it that that... as the others have explained quite well.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

If I was building a 120g I would go with an 200mm or 8" skimmer. I chose the deluxe model as it has far more contact time than any skimmer in its class. I only gave a recommendation based on his desire. He said he wanted the best regardless of price. Had he put in a price cap it obviously changed my recommendation.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I have seen the 200 in action and you can't stop it from overflowing at 2500 lph. 2200 lph seems to be the sweet spot. Of course that may change depending on the water level in the sump. This pump allows you to make that fine adjustment. And with the digital air meter that is included it is a piece of cake! IME, the more air the more particulate matter is removed. That aids in removing organics before they even break down. I think ATB wanted to just have a single pump that would work for both skimmers. Unlike the Waveline DC pumps offer other skimmers hitting the market like the RLSS, Skimz, ATB, Octopus, act... this pump is infinitely adjustable unlike the 6 presets on the Waveline.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If nobody mentioned it yet,

The SC 150, comes with the Atman 2500 pump.

It was about a hundred bucks shipped to my door, new.

I still love mine, had it over a year, on my 125 mixed reef

6. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

After I did my research I decided on the sc150 too. It didn't fit under my tank, too tall, so I was bummed I had to get something else. It is a really nice looking skimmer. They are $125 new now but I'd sell mine if someone wanted it. It is still brand new.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well the included air meter is brilliant... but ya, one pump across a model line. I just did not see the need from my (short)experience, but I see what you mean. Thanks.

And the other question too.. I was honestly asking, not debating. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. bdwarrior52

bdwarrior52 Astrea Snail

If it was me (and I like "over sized" skimmers) I would go with a SWC 230($564.99) or SWC 300($649.99) both have Askoll pumps which are the same motors that the red dragon pumps use. With a skimmer this size (not that this is the only piece of filtration you need) you can feed alot! Every tank I set up gets an large skimmer and a bio pellet reactor on it because I enjoy feeding and do it 3-4 times a day. I didn't read the posts before but I'm sure someone has already said the bubble king line(red dragon pumps)... you cant go wrong with that if have an extra $1500-$2000.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I had mine under my 125G oak stand.

I'd modify or build, get a new stand! LOL

11. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

I've used reef octopus skimmers since honestly as long as I can remember. There top notch quality, excellent customer service, and their built to last. Not to mention one deluxe valve control's everything. The pumps also near silent and MarineDepot seems to have the cheapest prices for em.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

understood! I forgot to add that the skimmer I suggested is the Deluxe version of the 8.5. It used the same cone but with a riser on the bottom to extend the height and adds an askoll pump.