Best protein skimmer for the money

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by alexander, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What is the best protein skimmer for the best deal in your opinion?

I have a 112g with 29 gallon sump that I am currently setting up, and am struggling on which skimmer to buy?

I was thinking about the Reef Octo-NW 150.

What do you think I should get?
    I don't have a set budget, I'm just looking for best bang for my buck.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I recently bought a new skimmer not too long ago. I went through the same thing your doing now. My decision came down to either an ASM or Precision Marine. I decided on the PM Redline 125. I have not regretted it. It's rated up to 125 gallons, built like a tank and so easy to setup and run. It was also cheaper then the ASM equivalent or other similarly sized models. IMO, it was a real deal, but not many people seem to have them. You can check out the review section b/c I did a review of the skimmer there.

1 person likes this.
  4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

ASM G2, buy it, love it, clean it pretty much in that order :)

1 person likes this.
  5. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I-Tech Skimmers are the BEST for the money.

Ultra Quiet and a beast of a skimmer

i have the 100 model. Each one is hand made.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There is no way you are going to get a right answer on this.

Acrylic is just plastic. Cell cast is better quality. Machined PVC is nice. The best build is Bubble King hands down. Flippin' works of art. ATB is another top builder, Vertex Alpha series. Other top builders are Warner Marine, MSX, Tunze. Better build quality and materials cost more money though. It is up to you to decide what you are willing to pay for.

The pump is the heart of the skimmer. What do you think is worth the money? Laguna based pumps such as Red Dragon and Askoll are very nice. Super build, many electronic protection features. Ultra quiet. Sicce is a very common good pump. Tunze.... Then you get to cheap loud and crappy pumps. Not very good, but super cheap to replace. Do you think it is worth paying $600 for a Red Dragon. Some folks do. Some folks think Quiet ones are all they need.

So what do you value? Built like a tank? Silent operation? Consistent long term performance? Easily replacable parts? Disposable stuff?

Personally, I would own any skimmer Warner Marine makes. (HOB, cylinder, cone) I would go with a MSX over a Octo (but OCto Ex is solid stuff). You want what most folks compare their cones too, (and copy) get an ATB. You want the Rolls Royce, get a Bubble King. You want great performance for cheap, get a Vertex IN series.

3 people like this.
  7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

8. Click Here!

9. infamous

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There are others that perform just as well for less. Not saying yours is not a great skimmer, and you are happy for the price you paid, but "the best for the money" is a hard statement to swallow.

Seriously, have you ever heard a Bubble King?

11. infamous

Those skimmer are as quiet? Nope

Made in USA? Nope

Amazing customer service? Nope

Price of a Bubble king makes me ignore a bubble king

Have you ever used an I-tech skimmer?

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Now you are just being silly.

Red Dragon set the bar for quiet. RE customer service is as good as it gets. Does not mean I-tech can't match, but don't tell me they are "better". Tunze is renowned for CS, ATB is down right legendary, WM has taken great care of me, and when I call the number John Warner answers the phone. Made is good ole USA too. I-tech has not cornered that market.

I have never used an I-tech, and I have never said they were poor performers. Their customers love them. I see no reason to disagree. For me, I always just figured why not get what they were copied off of with better construction if I was going to go that route.