Best brand salt mix to use?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by new2salt2, Mar 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

What do you think about switching to using that new bottled water by Nature's Ocean?

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

GaMmA do you have a saltwater aquarium around you? or maybe sea world etc?
    If so ask them if they sell it it would be better. Omard gets free filter sea water from his local aquarium.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@Nautilus...
    Correction ...well almost "free" (5 cents a gallon, filtered/UV treated) ;)

My critters love it.

(THX for respds... :D)

Happy Easter!

Scott

5. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

There isn't an aquarium close by. Right now I'm making my own w/rodi h20.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

The Aquarium of the Pacific is in Long Beach, check with them!

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=Salt;num=1080622599;start=0#2 date=03/29/04 at 15:50:46]
    I believe Oceanic has bought Kent and that is were the new Oceanic salt will be made so Oceanic and Kent Salt will be the same.
    J[/quote]

I posted on Kent being bought out but Oceanic was also bought by the same company, they also own IO. They now own tons of pet supply companies.

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Bucket;num=1074148453;start=0#2 date=01/13/04 at 15:06:47][move] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif][/move]
    Lafayette, Calif. - Central Garden & Pet, a leading manufacturer of lawn, garden and pet products, has purchased the assets of KENT MARINE, a leading maker of fish aquariums and supplies. The purchase price was not disclosed.
    Based in Georgia, KENT MARINE distributes worldwide with annual sales that average $7 million. It manufacturers water garden supplies, as well as fresh and saltwater aquarium products.

Central Garden & Pet manufacturers a wide variety of pet supplies and garden items, including grass seed, wild bird food, herbicides, insecticides and outdoor patio decor. These products are sold under a number of brand names, including Kaytee, Pennington, Norcal Pottery, Lilly Miller, Matthews Four Seasons, AMDRO and Grant's Ants.
    [move] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif] [smiley=fish.gif][/move]
    [/quote]

Kent and IO are made in the same place but just like anything Else they are mixed differently or to say they all have there own recipe they use. If Oceanic salt is made here they would have there own recipe also.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=Salt;num=1080622599;start=15#25 date=05/02/04 at 07:55:23]

Kent and IO are made in the same place but just like anything Else they are mixed differently or to say they all have there own recipe they use. If Oceanic salt is made here they would have there own recipe also.
    [/quote]

How do you know this? Just curious what there is available to support that statement. TIA

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Craig which part?
    kent and IO are made in the same plant. and I said IF oceanic was they would have there own recipe.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

http://www.centralgardenandpet.com/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=cent&script=400

They bought Kent and all-glass aquariums.
    Kent in Jan 2004
    All-Glass Oct-2000
    It was my understanding All-Glass bought out Oceanic.. then Central bought All-glass.

Funny they have a big ad for oceanic salt mix on the front page.... makes ya wonder. I will have to dig more.

OK from Oceanic Systems web page quote-
    "In 1980, Oceanic became part of a national distribution network, and our name soon became known as a "top shelf" brand. With business outpacing space, Oceanic relocated to increasingly larger facilities in 1982, 1985, and then finally, in 1990, to the current 100,000 sq. ft. plant in Dallas, Texas. Oceanic has been a proud subsidiary of All Glass Aquarium since 1997. Based in Franklin, Wisconsin, All Glass is the world's largest glass aquarium manufacturer. "
    http://www.oceanicsystems.com/history.html

Aquaria, Inc. ("Aquaria" or "we") owns and operates the websites located at www.marineland.com, www.marinelandlabs.com, www.aquariumsystems.com, www.perfectomfg.com and www.jungletalk.com

Marineland bought aquarium systems.
    MARINELAND COMPANIES
    Aquarium Systems in Mentor, Ohio manufactures Instant Ocean®, the world's leading synthetic sea salt - in addition to a comprehensive line of high quality aquarium products.
    Perfecto Manufacturing in Noblesville, Indiana produces light hoods, strip lights and a wide selection of glass aquariums and stands in many shapes and sizes.
    Jungle Talk also headquartered in Mentor, Ohio designs and distributes quality, safe, innovative bird toys to challenge and entertain.

There are a lot of different salt mixes made in Mentor, Ohio. Aquarium Systems makes salt mixes in Mentor, Ohio. Ask them how many different salt mixes they manufacture.

12. Craig Manoukian

Thanks Dave, great stuff! Will have to do some of my own research, eh?