Best Brand of Salt Mix

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Seano Hermano, Aug 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What is the best/most preferred salt mix for reef tanks?

1. Coralife Marine Salt

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. IO Reef Crystals

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. (regular)IO Sythetic Sea Salt

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Kent Marine Sea Salt

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Ocean Natural Sea Salt

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Red Sea Coral Pro Sea Salt

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. Red Sea Sea Salts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SeaChem Sea Salts

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  9. Tropic Marin Sea Salts

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  10. Other

16 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes, directly in the correlation sense; as in, as biomass increases, so does waste. There can be other factors to it, while still described that way.

2. Click Here!

3. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I haven't really found one salt to be the "best." The best salt may be the best value, the most expensive, the cheapest, the easiest to use/dissolve etc. I've used Coral Life, IO Reef Crystals and a designer salt made by a guy who lives in my area that doesn't have any non-caking ingrediants. All the salts dissolved nicely, had good parameters and did the job. Some have more Ca, Mg or Alk then others, but most dose anyways. This question is just like the question, which lighting is better, MH or T5s? It will never be answered.

5. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

That is all true, but for the same price and dissolve time I have found Red Sea Coral Pro to work much better then Sea Chem or IO Reef Crystals so it's not all the same but different.

Has just helped me so much, the mag is a great benefit.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

your mincing stuff man.

I never said DO wasn't a limiting factor. I never even used "the limiting factor". I said it (it being stocking not being over what the system can handle) was "key". You are arguing things that are not even being said. An UGF *is* mechanical filtration anyway. Even if I was saying that, it would still hold true as you were actually using mechanical filtration even when you say were not (I don't understand why you are saying it like that) and DO being a limiting factor and overstocking go hand and hand. DO can not be an issue in a tank that is not overstocked. If it were, then the tank would be overstocked.

Besides, the whole idea of overstocking equates to stocking more than your system can handle. It could be filtration, it could be O, it could be physical space, it could be incompatible husbandry. I don't know why you took it off in this x inch per x gallon "rule of thumb" nonsense. That's a rule for noobs to get started with. There are plenty of threads that amount to a noob realizing the "rule of thumb" is just something to get them going and quickly becomes a dumb rule.

Anyway, we're talking about salt and as such we're talking about reef/coral. Not fish. Fish don't give a rats behind what salt you use. Most of them can live fine in a dirty tank.

Corals, not so much for the nicer stuff. (nicer being my way of saying LPS and SPS)

Yeah, the inch thing is a red herring here. Overstocking does not equate to inches of fish. Only bring up that rule if you're a noob ;) IMHO.

Anyway, it baffles me how you expanded on this. Your Condy, featherduster, and hermit don't even belong in the equation of overstocking. I don't get your point there either. Are you saying your CuC adds to your overstocking, not subtracts from it?

What else was in that tank? Any coral that care about the salt mix?

1 person likes this.
  7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

ok, I must rephrase myself.

I am looking for a salt that will work well in my tank. It is a 29g FOWLR(for now) but I would like to set it up as a reef tank. If I can, I don't really want to dose much.

I want to keep sps, some LPS & softies.

Now what might you suggest? Is there a commercial brand that would do me good?..one that sticks out above others? If there are a few..how much does each cost?...say, for a 200g(mix) bucket?

I want to buy this once then not have to again for a while.

8. Click Here!

9. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

10. antdizzle

antdizzle Peppermint Shrimp

red sea coral pro, ive always used it and is a banging salt, but has just gotten a bit on the expensive side for me, switched over to IO since they made the changes, and thats what ive been using for now. but dnt think its better then red sea coral pro

11. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

Nah, I was trying to end this hijack 'cause we'll never agree. You just missed my sarcasm. ;)

Actually, no.. It's a bio-filter. Using it as a mechanical filter is what gave it the name "nitrate factory". You can't let it collect anything. Maintenance is key.

Agreed. Again, sarcasm. Some websites preach it as a hard-core rule.

In the context of DO, yes... They do breathe. ;)

Hehehe... That was my very first SW tank. You couldn't keep corals back then.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  12. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

If Instant Ocean Reef Crystals is that good. How come I have gone to 11 stores in the DFW area and no one carries it? Every store I have went to has everything else but what i want.

Does everyone order online?