Been out for a while, have a 4 gallon reef in my possession

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chelseagrin, Nov 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

Hey guys haven't been on here in quite some time as I have been out of the hobby lately. However a friend if mine us moving to Texas and simply gave me his small 4 gallon nano custom built by him.

The tank has an occ. Clown and a yellow clown goby, along with a peppermint shrimp. It has a large variety of corals that I could really use some ID's on if you get the chance.

As you can see the rank has an in take 3 stage filter I have trickling over the live rock protruding from the water. It has a small power head that keeps the water flowing just enough.

My question to you guys, what us the best direction to go with this tank? It us very established already I dont Wang to mess up the stability. Do you guys think the filter will be adequate? It obviously gas been thus far despite being so small and simple.

The lighting is a nuvo fixture with I'm believe are 6-1 watt led's. With this im thinking I should move some of my stony corals up onto the rockwork?

Any ideas whatsoever will help guys. Thanks a bunch.

Also: Pics were taken right after unpacking so not all corals are open yet.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Welcome back! the filter could be better but in such a small tank I think it would be fine. if you were to change it, I would get a aquaclear with an intank media basket. the extra volume and the ability to add Media and cheato will help in the long run. the light I'm not to familiar with and Ive never dealt with anything smaller then 10 in saltwater. Honestly I wold look into getting a par38 bulb and use that. I had great growth from when I had mine.

also

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

Its an innovative marine skyye light. The 8 watt fixture. Here is a link
    http://www.innovative-marine.com/skkye-light/clamp-8.html

It seems to be growing the corals fine, I had a par38 on my old 3 gallon nano. Im a big fan if the idea but I think this fixture looks nice and clean. And I had alot if problems with my old par38 unfortunately. A fixture I was very impressed with however was the ecoxotic panorama pro module.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

And hey you have to love some Chelsea grin ever now and again ;)

6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Chelseagrin- what issues dod you have with the par38? I have one over my 15g.

The corals are various zoanthids, looks like a ricordia or yuma mushroom, another mushroom, and possibly a chalice?

The skyye light I have is 18watts 50/50. My Corals are doing well.
    I had a dragon brain in my 15g, it just wasn't doing well, the skeleton was showing. I put it in my 10g and its healing up really well.

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

I purchased a par38 bulb shortly after they first cane out quite some time ago, I had the thing over a 2 gallon dwarf seahorse tank and several of the led's on the bulb just simply stopped working after maybe a month or so.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome back chelsea. I wouldn't mess with the filtration seeing that it's established and working. As for corals I see various zoas and palys, leathers and mushrooms and a chalice for sure. Lighting can always improve, look into deep blue led lights. They make very clean lights and I run 4 3watt blues on my 75 gallon and I can't believe my corals react to it. I use them for accent but they are bright. Congrats on the tank!

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.